The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has warned intending pilgrims and Hajj tour operators against paying money to individuals claiming they can guarantee special slots for the 2027 Hajj exercise.

NAHCON, in a statement issued by its management on Saturday, said some unscrupulous persons claiming to be agents or staff of the commission had been contacting tour operating companies and intending pilgrims, demanding various sums of money in exchange for promises of guaranteed Hajj slots.

The commission described such demands as fraudulent and stressed that no individual, agent, tour operator or other person had been authorised to request or collect money as a “facilitation fee” or additional payment to secure special Hajj slot allocation.

“Members of the public, intending pilgrims, and tour operators are hereby strongly advised that no individual, agent, tour operator, or any other person is authorised to demand, collect, or request any form of payment, ‘facilitation fee,’ or additional money under the guise of guaranteeing, facilitating or securing special Hajj slot allocation for the 2027 Hajj exercise,” NAHCON said.

The commission said the allocation of Hajj slots was strictly governed by approved processes and carried out in compliance with its guidelines for the licensing of tour operators, which it said were already in the public domain.