WASHINGTON — The board of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts voted on Thursday to inscribe US President Donald Trump's name on the building, US Democratic Representative Joyce Beatty said, setting up a potential clash with a federal judge who had ordered the name removed.
"In its meeting today, the board voted to change the front of the building's facade to read 'The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Restored and Renovated By President Donald J. Trump', and renamed the physical site 'the President Donald J. Trump Plaza'," said Beatty, an ex officio member on the center's board.
The Kennedy Center did not immediately reply to a request for comment, although a second source with knowledge of the situation confirmed the board's decision.
The New York Times reported earlier on Thursday that the board passed a resolution "that the center desires to recognize and honor President Trump's existential and unprecedented contributions to the survival of the center by all legal means".
The board, dominated by Trump appointees, also voted to close the Kennedy Center for two years, according to Beatty, who sued the Trump administration and the center over what she called an unlawful name change and the planned closure.











