NEW YORK — The Washington Nationals will move All-Star shortstop CJ Abrams to second base in the coming days, a dramatic decision that could help the team defensively in the short term but raises questions about morale and fit down the stretch.When asked about the move Friday, Abrams said he didn’t have many thoughts on the decision or the team’s communication of it, but still views himself as a shortstop long term. Manager Blake Butera has stood by Abrams’ play at shortstop throughout the season and said Abrams received the decision well and was a “total pro.” Abrams, though, didn’t come across as overjoyed when speaking with reporters Friday.“We’ll see how it goes,” Abrams said.Abrams will still play shortstop about once a week, with Nasim Nuñez — arguably the best fielder in the organization — shifting from second base to shortstop.Move over Shohei Ohtani. Miles Mikolas is the new two-way star.Spencer NusbaumAbrams, 25 and an All-Star starter this season, has been one of the best offensive players in MLB and showed flashes of improvement in the field this year, but ranks last in MLB among all position players in outs above average despite working with a new set of coaches.Team officials began kicking around the idea of moving Abrams to second base early this season and broached the idea with Adams last week, wanting to give him time to sit with the idea and voice his opinion.
Nationals to move All-Star shortstop CJ Abrams to second base in surprising decision
Blake Butera said Abrams received the decision well and was a "total pro," but the infielder didn't come across as overjoyed Friday.








