NITES has also asked the Ministry to ensure that candidates whose hiring Wipro does not intend to proceed with are informed of the decision and reasons in writing instead of being left in uncertainty
| Photo Credit:
IT employee welfare union Nascent Information Technology Employees Senate (NITES) has sought the intervention of the Union Labour Ministry over the alleged delay in onboarding more than 200 students and young engineers selected by Wipro under its Elite Hiring 2025 process.In a letter to Mansukh Mandaviya, Minister of Labour & Employment, NITES president Harpreet Singh Saluja alleged that the candidates had completed the recruitment, assessment and background verification processes but were still waiting for a definite joining date several months later. The union has sought clarity from Wipro on the status of the candidates, the reasons for the delay, the validity of their Offer Letters and Letters of Intent (LOIs), and a time-bound onboarding schedule.NITES has also asked the Ministry to ensure that candidates whose hiring Wipro does not intend to proceed with are informed of the decision and reasons in writing instead of being left in uncertainty.Onboarding DelayAccording to Saluja’s letter, the affected students and young engineers participated in Wipro’s campus recruitment process in February 2025, and cleared the technical and voice assessments later that month. They received their Offer Letters in July 2025 and LOIs in August 2025, which they accepted within the stipulated period.The candidates reconfirmed their interest through Wipro’s official survey in December 2025. In March 2026, they appeared for and cleared the Codility technical assessment, with Wipro communicating their clearance on March 24 and sharing the background verification (BGV) link the following day. The candidates completed the BGV process on March 26, including resolving an address verification query the same day. Their Wipro portal subsequently showed the BGV status as 100 per cent complete with “No Action Required”.No Response“Despite completing every requirement communicated by Wipro, these young engineers have still not received a definite onboarding or joining date,” Saluja alleged in the letter. He said the affected candidates had repeatedly approached Wipro’s HR teams, onboarding helpdesks and other designated channels but had not received a substantive response. Their educational institutions and Training and Placement Officers had also sought clarification from Wipro’s campus relationship personnel, he added.The latest complaint follows an earlier representation by NITES to the Labour Ministry in January 2026, in which the union alleged that Wipro had failed to onboard graduates who had been waiting for almost eight months without a joining date or formal rejection.That complaint involved more than 250 graduates, according to NITES, who had received LOIs and completed background verification but were allegedly left waiting without clear communication on their joining or rejection.Urgent TreatmentIn February 2026, Wipro formally reached out to affected Turbo candidates and conducted a “Turbo Connect” session. The company said pre-skill training would begin by the end of February, with onboarding scheduled between March and April, subject to completion of assessments and background verification.According to Wipro’s website, its Elite programme, also described as its Technical Graduate Hiring Programme, is aimed at attracting engineering graduates from across the country. The programme offers participants opportunities to work on high-impact projects, receive hands-on training in emerging technologies and gain exposure to real-world client interactions.NITES has urged the Labour Ministry to treat the latest complaint as urgent, given the number of candidates affected and the length of the delay.Wipro did not respond to a detailed email from businessline seeking clarification by the time of going to press.Published on August 13, 2026













