Humanitarian aid warehouses come under attack in Ukraine

Key pointsAttacks are part of intensifying Russian war on civilian targets Frontline medical supplies destroyed in strikeWorld Health Organization (WHO) tracker points to 70+ warehouse attacks to dateIn a statement condemning last week’s strikes on a UN warehouse in Dnipro, WHO reported that the facility had been first hit on Monday and twice on Friday. “The warehouse held emergency health supplies bound for frontline health facilities. Everything was destroyed,” the agency said.After the first strike, WHO started transferring supplies. An agency staff member and several drivers had just left the site on 7 August before the second strike. Hours later, a third strike destroyed the building. No casualties were reported.Frontline lossesIn total, WHO teams managed to move 130 of roughly 300 pallets to another location before the storehouse was destroyed in the eastern city of Dnipro. Before the attacks, the facility held supplies worth an estimated $500,000.“This warehouse held supplies that were intended to keep lifesaving services available on the frontline,” said Hans Kluge, WHO regional director for Europe. “Its destruction means less medicine, less equipment and less capacity to treat the sick and wounded. These attacks must stop now.”Russian authorities reported last week that Ukrainian strikes on a warehouse killed five in the Moscow region on Tuesday and seven on a beach in the Krasnodar region on Monday.