ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — New York Yankees shortstop Anthony Volpe is one of the most polarizing players this franchise has employed in recent memory. No one on New York’s roster registers more outrage than Volpe.It reached a new level Tuesday, when Michael Kay, YES Network’s play-by-play broadcaster, shared a report on his ESPN radio show, which relied on anonymous sources, suggesting that Volpe refused to play second base while in the minor leagues earlier this season. Kay ultimately retracted his reporting on his show Wednesday afternoon.“I had two people tell me, and I heard rumors,” Kay said while explaining himself in the dugout at Tropicana Field on Wednesday. “I was wrong.“Somebody called me (on Wednesday) and said that’s not right. I made further calls, and they said no, that he had never refused to play second base. I retracted. I plan to talk to him and apologize. I feel bad. I wouldn’t want to put him in the crosshairs.”Volpe said he learned of Kay’s report from his trainer in New Jersey, who told him the narrative was out there that he was not a team player.“It definitely caught me off guard,” Volpe said. “It’s confusing, because it’s just not true. It couldn’t be further from the truth. From my perspective, that’s been very clearly communicated to Boonie and the team. I think it’s just kind of BS, honestly.“I hope my teammates in here — I’ve played for them for three-plus years — I hope they know my character and that I’d literally do anything to help the team win, literally anything. I think the narrative and what it tries to say about me — I feel like I am defending myself over something that literally didn’t happen.”The latest MLB draft intelKeith LawThe Yankees initially planned for Volpe to play some second base while he was in the minor leagues on his rehab assignment and after he was optioned in May. But injuries changed the plan. José Caballero, who started the season at shortstop, injured his finger and was placed on the IL. That caused the Yankees to recall Volpe from Triple A. Caballero eventually returned, but the injuries kept piling up for the Yankees, who were forced to capitalize on his versatility. The result: Volpe got the bulk of playing time at shortstop, rather than Caballero.
As Michael Kay backtracks, Yankees’ Anthony Volpe disputes report: ‘BS’
"I'd literally do whatever the team needed, and that's the truth behind the story," Volpe said.










