Skip to Content News Archives Economy Energy Oil & Gas Renewables Electric Vehicles Mining Commodities Agriculture Real Estate Mortgages Mortgage Rates Finance Banking Insurance Fintech Cryptocurrency Work Wealth Smart Money Wealth Management Investor Personal Finance Family Finance Retirement Taxes High Net Worth FP Comment Executive Women Puzzmo Newsletters Financial Times Business Essentials More Innovation Information Technology FP500 Podcasts Small Business Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Financial Post Store Obituaries Place a Notice Advertising Advertising With Us Advertising Solutions Postmedia Ad Manager Sponsorship Requests Classifieds Place a Classifieds ad Working Profile Settings My Subscriptions Saved Articles My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ News Economy Energy Mining Real Estate Finance Work Wealth Investor FP Comment Executive Women Puzzmo Newsletters Financial Times Business Essentials HomeNewsEconomyNATO touts defence deals to show Trump it is stepping upThe new defence spending 'will ensure' NATO’s capabilities are 'strong and credible for decades to come'Author of the article:Last updated Jul 07, 2026 You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.Officials have structured the entire week as one big appeal to Trump, putting on a defence industry-friendly display. Photo by Serdar Ozsoy/Getty ImagesNATO allies unveiled US$12 billion in key defence industry deals to buy next-generation drones, surveillance planes and military aircraft — and convince United States President Donald Trump that Europe is heeding his spending demands.Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman, and others.Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.Exclusive articles from Barbara Shecter, Joe O'Connor, Gabriel Friedman and others.Daily content from Financial Times, the world's leading global business publication.Unlimited online access to read articles from Financial Post, National Post and 15 news sites across Canada with one account.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorNotably, some of the contracts show Europe moving to locally source some equipment it previously bought from the U.S. Eleven countries, for instance, will now buy airborne radar-detection systems from Swedish aerospace firm Saab AB, replacing a U.S.-made Boeing Co. model. The deal is worth US$5 billion, according to a NATO diplomat.Others deepen ties to U.S. manufacturers for crucial items. Denmark, Finland, Germany and Norway will buy up to five Northrop Grumman Corp. Triton surveillance aircraft at a cost of US$2.7 billion, the diplomat said, speaking anonymously to describe the agreements.SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE: FP West: Energy Insider brings you behind the oilpatch’s closed doors with exclusive insights from insiders every Wednesday morning.By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.The next issue of FP West: Energy Insider will soon be in your inbox.We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try againNATO Secretary General Mark Rutte revealed the deals on Tuesday during a defence industry forum in Ankara, Turkey’s capital, where the military alliance’s leaders are gathering for their annual summit this week.Officials have structured the entire week as one big appeal to Trump, putting on an industry-friendly display and coming armed with figure after figure meant to convey the message: Europe is stepping up in NATO and spending billions in the process.Trump has for years railed against the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, arguing it lets Europe and Canada piggy back off America’s defence prowess without having to invest in their defence. Alliance members have responded with billions in fresh military spending, spurred on by Russia’s war on Ukraine, which left Europe fearing for its security.Other purchases revealed on Tuesday include seven allies saying they will acquire Airbus SE’s A400M military aircraft, which helps with airlift and tanker capabilities. That contract is worth US$4.3 billion, the diplomat said.Separately, allies will invest more than US$40 billion in counter-drone capabilities over the next five years, Rutte said. Mark RutteEurope is still far from military self-sufficiency, however, and is lacking the ability to produce key modern tools of warfare, including drones and advanced air defence systems.The deals announced Tuesday aim to address some of those shortcomings.In the case of SAAB’s radar-detection system, the shift reflects a growing European desire to ensure its safety is not completely tied to U.S. manufacturers.Boeing’s planes “have served us well and continue to do so,” Rutte said, “but they are reaching the end of their life.” Mark Rutte, left, and Ulf Kristersson during the NATO Summit Defence Industry Forum in Ankara, on July 7. Photographer: Kerem Uzel/BloombergThe new products “will ensure” NATO’s capabilities are “strong and credible for decades to come.”The Europe-first push has caused friction with the U.S., which wants its allies to spend more on their own defence — but still buy American. Those tensions increased after the European Union designed a €150 billion (US$172 billion) defence loan scheme — and its €90 billion loan to Ukraine — to prioritize local companies.In key areas, however, Europe hasn’t been able to find its own equivalents for American products, and Tuesday’s contracts reflect that.The Triton maritime surveillance equipment, for example, is a capability Europe has yet to develop. The Triton equipment “gives us the situational awareness we need to make the decisions we need and stay ahead of threats,” Rutte said. Join the Conversation This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
NATO touts defence deals to show Trump it is stepping up
NATO allies unveiled US$12 billion in key defence industry deals to buy next-generation drones, surveillance and military aircraft. Read on










