The death toll in a bomb blast that rocked a cafe in Damascus on Thursday rose to nine. The bombing -- the deadliest since a suicide attack on a church last year -- also left 20 people injured.

The blast took place near the capital's Palace of Justice, a key government building, sparking scenes of panic in the busy area.

"The explosion that occurred in a cafe near the Palace of Justice in Damascus resulted from an explosive device planted in the location," state television said.

The "improvised explosive device" contained metal fragments, which caused "severe injuries and significant damage", the interior ministry wrote on Telegram.

Damascus governor Maher Eldibi said authorities had launched an investigation.