Almost 700 migrants have crossed the Channel in the past two days as people-smugglers took advantage of the hot weather and favourable sea conditions. Official figures show 681 migrants made the crossing from France in 10 boats on Friday and Saturday. They are the first recorded dinghy arrivals in 13 days.Today, migrants were seen smiling and throwing up peace signs after boarding a dinghy in Dunkirk, France, before attempting to cross the Channel to Britain. Other pictures captured on Saturday showed older children struggling through the water after failing to board one of the inflatable boats. Meanwhile, French police with riot shields just watched as dozens - some carrying children wearing life vests on their shoulders - waded through the waves to clamber on board People in life jackets were later seen being led from a Border Security Command vessel after arriving on the Kent coast.Almost 400 crossed the Channel in small boats on Friday, with 287 making the journey yesterday. It brings the yearly total so far to 8,257, more than 5,000 fewer than at the same time in 2025.Kemi Badenoch yesterday made claims that 'a lot' of those arriving by small boats 'should not be here'.The Conservative leader told LBC they are targeting Britain as they see the country as a 'soft touch'.'They are not refugees,' she said. 'They are people who see our country as a soft touch, and they exploit our kindness.'It comes after it was revealed that UK net migration dropped to an estimated 171,000 last year - the lowest level since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. Migrants smile and throw up a peace sign after boarding a dinghy in Dunkirk, France, today before attempting to cross the Channel to Britain A group of people thought to be migrants are brought in to the Border Security Command compound in Dover, Kent, on Friday, May 22The figures for the 12 months to December are down 48 per cent compared with the previous year (331,000), according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).It is the first time the estimate – which is the difference between the number of people arriving and leaving the country – has fallen below 200,000 since the start of the Covid-19 outbreak.The figures could lead to renewed calls for Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood's immigration policies to be watered down.Marley Morris, from think-tank the Institute for Public Policy Research, said the Government's progress 'should prompt a more measured debate'.In April, Shabana Mahmood signed a three-year agreement to pay France £662million to support beach patrols in a bid to drive down the number of arrivals.The Home Office said the arrangement would see officers 'targeting and detaining' migrants on the French coast with the aim of removing hundreds from beaches every year.It means Labour will hand over £501million to cover five police units and enforcement activity on French beaches – with an extra £160million only paid if new tactics to curb Channel crossings succeed.If efforts fail, the additional funding will stop after a year, the Home Office said.It was also confirmed for the first time that French authorities' new initiative to stop boats at sea will only apply to dinghies with fewer than 20 migrants aboard.Under Labour's new agreement the £53million-a-year extra payments will partly depend on how many boats are intercepted at sea.British cash will pay for a new specialist vessel for the French to use in interceptions, and 20 extra trained maritime officers to carry out the work.It will also be used to pay for two new helicopters for the French to use in surveillance operations along their coastline.
Almost 700 Channel migrants arrived in Britain over past two days
Official figures show 681 migrants made the crossing from France in 10 boats on Friday and Saturday. They are the first recorded dinghy arrivals in 13 days.






