May 24, 2026 | 07:26 pm

Prospective hajj pilgrims from various countries prepare to perform Maghrib prayer at the Grand Mosque in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, May 13, 2026 local time. ANTARA/Citro Atmoko

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Member of the Hajj Supervisory Team at the House of Representatives (DPR), Muhammad Husni, questioned the high number of Indonesian hajj pilgrims who passed their health screening despite suffering from dementia. He brought this up after an elderly Indonesian pilgrim was found dead after being declared missing for a week in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.While it is fortunate that the missing pilgrim was found, Husni said this situation sparked concern for the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah. "We find there are quite a few pilgrims with dementia who were green-lighted," he said in a video statement on Sunday, May 24, 2026.The Gerindra Party politician shared hopes for the Indonesian government to tighten its screening for eligible hajj pilgrims going forward. Those seeking to depart for the Muslim pilgrimage must meet the fitness requirements before traveling to Saudi Arabia. "This is our problem, those departing for hajj must be those who are truly capable, not only financially but also in terms of health," he said. The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah previously confirmed that Muhammad Firdaus, a 72-year-old Indonesian hajj pilgrim, who was reported missing and later found dead, will be buried in Saudi Arabia.Firdaus, a member of cluster JKG 27, has been reported missing since May 15, from the hotel where he was staying in Mecca. Saudi authorities found him deceased on May 22, local time.The Head of the Pilgrim Protection Unit of the 2026 Indonesian Hajj Organizing Commitee in Saudi Arabia, Colonel (Ret.) Muftiono, said that Firdaus was found in the Jabal Kuday area on Friday, around 02:00 a.m. local time. "The deceased was found in Jabal Kuday, about 1.5 to 2 kilometers from the dormitory. He was found by Saudi soldiers who were on patrol," Muftiono said in a video statement on May 23.Firdaus was reported missing earlier after failing to return to his accommodation since Friday. The spokesperson for the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, Ichsan Marsha, said the missing report was received through the Hajj Watch Channel on May 16.Based on the information, Firdaus left the hotel without his identification, only wearing a white T-shirt and sarong. CCTV footage showed him leaving alone at 09:04 a.m. local time, wearing only a hajj bracelet.Ichsan said that the hotel lobby was relatively empty at that time because most pilgrims had prepared for Friday prayer.Since receiving the report, the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has formed several search teams, combing various locations, from hotels and the Masjidil Haram area to the surrounding streets. A pilgrim protection team from Medina was also deployed to expand the search."Searches were also conducted at hospitals in Mecca and the surrounding areas," Ichsan said.Read: Saudi Arabia Tightens Mecca Traffic Ahead of Hajj SeasonClick here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News