NewsWorld newsShark attackA man has died after he was attacked by a shark near Kennedy Shoal, a shallow reef around 28 miles off the coast of Queensland in northeast Australia10:17, 24 May 2026A man has died after a shark attack on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.The 39-year-old man died on Sunday, making it the second fatal shark attack in Australia in just over a week.The man was bitten near Kennedy Shoal, a shallow reef around 28 miles off the coast of Queensland in northeast Australia. He was diving from a boat with three friends during a spearfishing trip when disaster struck.A spokesperson for the Queensland Police Service said the man was rushed to shore where he was met by an ambulance, but despite the best efforts of medics he died shortly afterwards.READ MORE: Family pay tribute to 'loving husband and father' killed in horror shark attackREAD MORE: Honeymoon shark attack in Maldives as man fighting for life and 'flesh torn off'"The man had been spearfishing when he was attacked and died from a critical head injury," Police Inspector Elaine Burns told reporters.The victim, a Cairns resident, was brought by boat around noon to the tourist town of Hull Heads where paramedics were waiting. He had "sustained injuries not compatible with life", the ambulance service said.Kennedy Shoal is a shallow coral reef popular with recreational fishers. Divers are also attracted to the Lady Bowen, a 19th century shipwreck. Fishers reported bull sharks had been seen in the area before the attack.The death follows a similar horrifying incident in which a 38-year-old man was killed by a 13ft great white shark earlier this month. Steve Mattabonni had been spearfishing with a friend when he was attacked at Horseshoe Reef, near Perth, Western Australia, police said.Aerial footage showed him being rushed to shore after he was bitten, with paramedics performing CPR.A police spokesperson at the time: “About 9.55am on Saturday 16 May 2026, emergency services were advised of a possible shark attack off the coast of Rottnest Island."A 38-year-old man was in the water at Horseshoe Reef when he was believed to have been bitten by a shark. The man was conveyed by vessel to shore, where he was met by SJA WA paramedics."Article continues belowThere are around 20 shark attacks in Australia every year but the vast majority are not fatal, according to data from conservation groups. In January dozens of beaches along Australia’s east coast, including in Sydney, were closed after four shark attacks in two days.Those attacks came as heavy rains created murky water that attracts sharks and reduces their visibility. While headline-grabbing, shark attacks are not the greatest hazard on Australia’s waters - far more people drown on the country’s beaches each year.There have been an estimated 1,300 shark attacks that have been recorded since 1791. Some 260 of those have since resulted in death.Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.SharksGreat Barrier ReefAustraliaShark attack
Shark kills man at popular tourist destination days after another fatal attack
A man has died after he was attacked by a shark near Kennedy Shoal, a shallow reef around 28 miles off the coast of Queensland in northeast Australia










