A man browses the Instagram account of the Cockroach Janta Party on social media, in Siliguri, Thursday, May 21, 2026. The account has reportedly surpassed the BJP in Instagram followers.

| Photo Credit:

Senior Maharashtra Congress leaders have accused the ruling BJP of suppressing public dissent, claiming that the government blocked social media accounts of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), a satirical digital outfit, after an Intelligence Bureau (IB) report warned of a potential public unrest.Former state Congress chiefs Nana Patole and Balasaheb Thorat alleged that the government was suppressing people's anger instead of addressing issues faced by the youth, poor and unemployed.Earlier this week, the CJP launched a campaign demanding the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over the NEET-UG paper leak.The platform surfaced last week following a controversy over remarks attributed to Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant on "cockroaches" and "parasites" during a court hearing on the issue of 'senior' designation for a lawyer.CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke on Saturday alleged a sweeping crackdown on the digital movement, claiming that all its social media accounts and its website have been taken down or compromised, leaving the group without access to any of its official platforms.Speaking to reporters, Patole claimed that the IB had warned PM Modi that the CJP's spiralling social media campaign could trigger unrest in the country, following which the content was blocked."An IB report submitted to the prime minister informed that this issue could trigger unrest, and that it should be blocked. Based on that information, the decision was taken," he said.He further alleged that anger about the move had been growing for several days and warned it could intensify."If this happens, it will affect the youth, the poor and the unemployed. A major wave of anger has started against this move, and this anger could explode at any time," he said.Thorat, meanwhile, said that the BJP cannot escape criticism by targeting social media platforms or accounts."There has been growing anger over this issue for many days. If this happens, it will affect the youth, the poor and the unemployed," he told reporters.The issue will not be solved merely by shutting down social media accounts, he said, accusing the BJP of attempting to curb dissent instead of addressing growing public grievances.Published on May 24, 2026