Donald Trump has said the details of a deal with Iran will include an opening of the Strait of Hormuz - the US president said a deal has 'largely been negotiated'23:07, 23 May 2026Updated 23:07, 23 May 2026Donald Trump has said a deal with Iran has “largely been negotiated”.The US President said in a post on his Truth Social media platform that the “final aspects and details” of a deal are “currently being discussed” but are set to be announced soon. He said this will include an opening of the Strait of Hormuz, the vital artery for the world’s oil supply which has been effectively closed by Iran since the war began, sending oil prices skyrocketing.It is not the first time a deal has been described as close, however.He said he had spoken with leaders from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain, and separately with Israel.He described it as a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE” that still must be finalised by the United States, Iran and the other countries that participated in Saturday’s talks.The final form any deal is agreed may raise questions over the Trump administration's decision to embark on military action in Iran. With the global economy hurting following the closure of the strait and clear tensions between the US and its allies over their refusal to join military action, as well as Trump's campaign promises to end the war, the aftermath is likely to raise questions for Trump.The Mirror has approached the White House for comment.In Trump's post, there was no mention of Iran’s nuclear programme and highly enriched uranium, which Iran has sought to discuss later.The United States and Iran were closing in on a deal to end the war, a regional official with direct knowledge of the Pakistan-led mediation efforts said earlier on Saturday, after the US weighed a new round of attacks on the Islamic Republic.The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, cautioned that “last-minute disputes” could blow up the efforts.He said the potential deal would include an official declaration of the war’s end, with two-month negotiations on Iran’s nuclear programme.The Strait of Hormuz would be reopened and the US would end its blockade of Iran’s ports.Iran, meanwhile, had signalled “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the US after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran, and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made” and “there may be news later today”.Both Iran and the US emphasised their key positions and have warned of the risks of resuming attacks and disrupting their ceasefire.Mr Rubio repeated the US’s stance that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon and must turn over its highly enriched uranium, and the Strait of Hormuz must be open.Iran state TV earlier quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei as describing the draft as a “framework agreement” and adding: “We want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us.“Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 and 60 days, details are discussed and ultimately a final agreement is reached.”He said the Strait of Hormuz is among the topics discussed.Mr Baghaei told Iran’s official IRNA news agency: “Over the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences.”He added that nuclear issues are not part of the current negotiations.“Our focus at this stage is on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,” he said, adding that lifting sanctions on Tehran “has explicitly been included in the text and remains our fixed position”.The Iranian-backed Hezbollah’s Al-Manar TV reported that the Lebanese militant group’s leader, Naim Kassim, received a letter from Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi saying Tehran will not abandon its allies.There is a fragile, US-brokered ceasefire in the Israel-Hezbollah war in Lebanon, a conflict that began two days after the Iran war started. Limiting Tehran’s support for armed proxies in the region has been a stated goal in the war, along with targeting its ballistic missile programme.Iran’s parliament speaker, Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, the lead negotiator in historic face-to-face talks with the US last month in Islamabad, said Iran has rebuilt its military assets and if Mr Trump resumes attacks, the result would be “more crushing and more bitter” than at the start of the war.State TV said he spoke after meeting with Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir, who also met with Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian and other senior officials. Qatar sent a senior official to Tehran to support Pakistan’s efforts.Mr Trump earlier said he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because “serious negotiations” were underway, and at the request of allies in the Middle East.The US President has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off. The US and Israel sparked the war with attacks on February 28, cutting short nuclear talks with Iran.Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway for the region’s oil, natural gas and fertiliser, causing global economic pain.The US then blockaded Iranian ports, with US Central Command saying on Saturday that its forces had turned away more than 100 commercial vessels and disabled four since the blockade began on April 13.Trump's Truth Social post in full"I am in the Oval Office at the White House where we just had a very good call with President Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, of The United Arab Emirates, Emir Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, and Minister Ali al-Thawadi, of Qatar, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir Ahmed Shah, of Pakistan, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, of Türkiye, President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, of Egypt, King Abdullah II, of Jordan, and King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, of Bahrain, concerning the Islamic Republic of Iran, and all things related to a Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE.Article continues below"An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed. Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, of Israel, which, likewise, went very well."Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened. Thank you for your attention to this matter! President DONALD J. TRUMP"
Trump's rambling statement about Iran war deal in full as 'questions remain'
Donald Trump has said the details of a deal with Iran will include an opening of the Strait of Hormuz - the US president said a deal has 'largely been negotiated'










