Minister for Backward Classes Welfare V. Sampath Kumar on Saturday said the Tamil Nadu government would ensure maximum punishment for the accused in the murder of a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore district and expedite legal proceedings in the case.Addressing reporters in Coimbatore, the Minister said the police acted swiftly after information about the incident was received on Friday night and arrested the two accused. He said both had been remanded in judicial custody and that instructions had been given to file the charge sheet at the earliest after the post-mortem report was received.He said the State government was committed to securing the maximum punishment for the accused and would provide necessary relief to the family. “Criminals must fear,” he said, adding that Chief Minister C. Joseph Vijay had emphasised the need for stringent punishment to deter such crimes.On measures to improve safety, Mr. Sampath Kumar said the State government would soon launch the ‘Singa Penn Special Force’ scheme across Tamil Nadu to strengthen surveillance and safety measures.Responding to questions on the delay in police action, he said the incident had occurred before a formal complaint was lodged and the complaint was received only between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. He said preliminary reports indicated that the crime had taken place within an hour of the child going missing.Mr. Sampath Kumar said the government had also taken note of concerns regarding safety at the location where the incident occurred. He said there were no streetlights in the area, and officials were instructed to examine the construction of a retaining wall near a pond adjoining the road after complaints about the area were brought to his attention.On whether more persons were involved in the case, he said the investigation was under way, and only two accused had been identified so far. He added that surveillance would be intensified near waterbodies and isolated areas across the State.‘Law and order a concern’Reacting to the incident, Leader of the Opposition Udhayanidhi Stalin on Saturday said 30 major incidents of crime within 12 days of the new government assuming office had cast serious doubts on the State’s law and order situation.“Within just 12 days of the new government assuming office, more than 30 major incidents — including sexual violence, ganja smuggling, rowdyism, unruly behaviour and excesses by ruling party members, and now the abduction and murder of a girl in Coimbatore — have made headlines, casting serious doubts on the State’s law and order,” he said in a social media post.He said those responsible for the abduction and murder of the minor girl should be swiftly brought to justice and punished.The youth wing of the DMK accused the State government of diverting public attention from the deteriorating law-and-order situation with reels of Mr. Vijay “changing his coats, wearing sunglasses, and driving Bolero and battery-operated cars.” A resolution adopted at the youth wing meeting chaired by its leader Mr. Udhayanidhi at Anna Arivalayam alleged that Tamil Nadu had witnessed more than 30 murders, burglaries and sexual assaults, and that law and order was out of control.“Instead of resorting to useless publicity, the Chief Minister should meet presspersons and clarify the doubts in the minds of the people,” the resolution said.PMK leader Anbumani Ramadoss and DMDK general secretary Premallatha Vijayakant also condemned the incident and urged the Tamil Nadu government to take stringent action against those responsible.‘Reel government’In a post on social media, AIADMK general secretary Edappadi K. Palaniswami said despite the matter being taken to the attention of the police within hours of the girl going missing, there was no follow-up and this exposed the “weaknesses” in the system governing law and order and administrative efficiency. “This government should function as a real government, instead of being a “reel government” [meaning excessive focus on gaining publicity through social media],” Mr. Palaniswami observed.In a statement, AIADMK leader and Thondamuthur MLA S.P. Velumani on Saturday urged the State government to ensure maximum punishment for the accused and provide a compensation of ₹1 crore to the victim’s family. He said crimes against women and children had led to public resentment during the previous DMK regime and alleged that the spread of narcotics had contributed to the rise in such offences. He said the latest incident showed that such crimes continued despite a change in the government.Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam (AMMK) founder T.T.V. Dhinakaran wanted the Chief Minister to pay special attention to issues concerning women’s safety.Body cremated in native villageThe body of the girl was cremated at her native village of Ukkam Paruthikadu, near Kolathur, in Mettur taluk on Saturday evening.The body arrived in an ambulance, triggering scenes of grief as relatives and villagers gathered in large numbers to pay their last respects. Relatives and villagers broke down upon seeing the body of the child, while members of the public also paid homage. Later, the body was cremated.In view of the large gathering, heavy police security was deployed at the village under the supervision of Mettur Deputy Superintendent of Police N. Shanmugasundaram and Kolathur Inspector Ganesh Kumar.
Government will ensure maximum punishment for accused in Coimbatore girl murder case: Sampath Kumar
Minister for Backward Classes Welfare V. Sampath Kumar says Tamil Nadu government will ensure that the perpetrators, who abducted, sexually assaulted, and murdered a 10-year-old girl near Sulur in Coimbatore district, will get the maximum punishment. Political leaders condemn incident and call for increased vigilance.






