WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump said Saturday that he is “50-50” on whether Washington will reach a deal with Iran or resume military strikes, adding that he expects to make a decision by Sunday.Speaking to Axios, Trump said it was a “solid 50/50” chance that the United States could either secure a “good” agreement with Tehran or “blow them to kingdom come.”“I think one of two things will happen: either I hit them harder than they have ever been hit, or we are going to sign a deal that is good,” Trump said.The US president added that he would meet later Saturday with special envoy Steve Witkoff and adviser Jared Kushner to discuss Iran’s latest response, with Vice President JD Vance also expected to participate.Trump said opinions inside the administration remained divided, noting that “some people would much rather have a deal and others would rather resume the war.”He also rejected suggestions that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was concerned about ongoing negotiations.Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran is focused on finalizing a memorandum of understanding with Washington aimed at ending the conflict.“Our approach has been to draft a 14-point memorandum of understanding that includes the most important issues necessary for ending the war and matters that are fundamental for us,” Baghaei said, according to Iran’s Fars news agency.He said negotiations were in the “final stage” of drafting the memorandum, which includes ending the war, lifting the US naval blockade and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.Baghaei added that Tehran and Washington had not yet agreed on a timeline for reaching a final understanding.Separately, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said “some progress” had been made in peace negotiations with Iran.Speaking to reporters in New Delhi after talks with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Rubio said there could be developments “later today, tomorrow, maybe a couple of days.”Rubio reiterated Washington’s demands, saying Iran “can never have a nuclear weapon,” while also calling for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz without tolls and the surrender of Iran’s highly enriched uranium.The United States and Iran have been exchanging proposals and counterproposals through mediation efforts in Islamabad focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, addressing Tehran’s nuclear program and discussing sanctions relief.
Trump says he is ‘50-50’ on Iran deal or renewed military strikes
WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump said Saturday that he is “50-50” on whether Washington will reach a deal with Iran or resume military strikes,...










