Published on

23/05/2026 - 7:58 GMT+2

The World Health Organization has raised its public health risk from the Ebola outbreak from "high" to "very high" in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In an update on Friday, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the head of the agency, said 82 cases had so far been confirmed in the country, with seven confirmed deaths.

"But we know the epidemic in the DRC is much larger," Ghebreyesus said, adding that there were around 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths.