Get the latest news and updates from Dawn

KATHMANDU: Two Indian climbers have died on Mount Everest during a record-breaking period of ascents via Nepal’s southern route, as experts warn of overcrowding on the world’s highest peak.

“They fell ill while descending at high altitude. We are working out how to retrieve the bodies,” Nivesh Karki, dire­ctor at Pioneer Adventures, told AFP.

He named them as Sandeep Are, who he said summited on May 20, and Arun Kumar Tiwari, who reached the peak on May 21.

At least five climbers have died during this Everest season, including the two Indians and three Nepalis. A US and a Czech climber died on Mount Makalu earlier this month.