Less than a month before the 2026 World Cup, Congo’s Ebola outbreak is raising global concern; The team canceled its Kinshasa camp, the US imposed entry restrictions and FIFA is monitoring fears that the crisis could disrupt the summer tournamentynet|Less than a month before the opening whistle of the 2026 World Cup, as the Democratic Republic of Congo dreamed of a historic first appearance in more than five decades, the country finds itself at the center of a health crisis casting a heavy shadow over the tournament.Instead of open training sessions, farewell celebrations and excitement around the “Leopards,” streets in the country’s east are filled with fear, riots and medical workers under military protection following an Ebola outbreak. While FIFA tries to project business as usual, concern is growing behind the scenes that the virus — which has already killed more than 139 people — could evolve from a local disaster into the biggest headache facing the upcoming World Cup.5 View gallery Congo national team players celebrate qualifying for the World Cup last month (Photo: Ulises Ruiz / AFP)The latest development came Friday, when the White House made clear that the Congolese national team must undergo a full 21-day quarantine in Belgium or risk losing the ability to enter the United States ahead of the tournament.The details were disclosed by Andrew Giuliani, head of the White House task force for the 2026 World Cup, in an interview with ESPN. According to him, the U.S. delivered a clear message to FIFA, the Congolese government and the local football federation: any breach of quarantine could prevent the team from participating in the tournament.“We've been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11th,” Giuliani said. “We've made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”5 View gallery More than 139 people have already died from the virus in Congo, while over 600 suspected cases are being tested (Photo: Michel Lunanga/Getty Images)The Congolese side, preparing for its first World Cup since 1974, had planned to begin preparations with a farewell ceremony for fans in Kinshasa. But the outbreak forced officials to shift the entire training camp to Belgium. Team spokesman Jerry Kalemo said the decision was driven by the country’s health situation and concerns for the safety of players and staff.According to the latest figures, more than 139 people have died from the virus in Congo and over 600 suspected cases are under investigation. The outbreak involves a rare Ebola strain known as “Bundibugyo,” for which no approved vaccine currently exists. The World Health Organization has warned that vaccine development could take many months, increasing concern ahead of the world’s biggest football tournament.FIFA has attempted to reassure the public, saying it is “aware of and monitoring the situation,” while maintaining regular contact with Congo’s football federation to ensure the team receives all necessary medical and security guidance. The organization also said it is working with authorities in the U.S., Canada and Mexico to guarantee a “safe and secure tournament.”Recent events in Congo underscore how volatile the situation has become. At Rwampara Hospital near the city of Bunia in Ituri province — the epicenter of the outbreak — serious unrest erupted after relatives and friends of a young man suspected of dying from Ebola tried to retrieve his body for burial.Authorities blocked the attempt because Ebola victims’ bodies are considered highly contagious.5 View gallery Residents wait in line to be tested( Photo: Michel Lunanga/Getty Images (Photo: Michel Lunanga/Getty Images)The response turned violent. Witnesses said an angry crowd hurled stones at hospital staff, set fire to isolation tents used to treat patients and forced police to fire warning shots into the air to regain control. One hospital worker was injured in the clashes, while military forces were deployed around the facility to protect medical teams.The deceased young man was a well-known and popular figure in the local community who had previously played for several football clubs in the region. His mother claimed he had died not of Ebola but of typhoid fever, rejecting the authorities’ account.The incident quickly became a symbol of the deep crisis of trust in the region, where large segments of the population do not believe the virus is real.Local politician Luc Malamba said that many people are convinced that Ebola an invention by hospitals and aid organizations to make money. According to him, distrust of authorities and fear of the disease are creating an extremely dangerous situation that is severely complicating efforts to contain the outbreak.The outbreak has already crossed borders. Two infections have been confirmed in neighboring Uganda, where authorities temporarily closed land crossings and public transportation links with Congo. Ferry traffic on the Semliki River, which forms part of the border between the countries, has also been fully suspended.5 View gallery Congo national team (Photo: REUTERS/Eloisa Sanchez)Beyond the health implications, the outbreak has become a major issue surrounding the 2026 World Cup. Congo’s team, as noted, canceled its Kinshasa training camp, including a planned farewell event with local fans. The federation decided to move all preparations to Europe because of health concerns.Spokesman Jerry Kalemo said warmup matches against Denmark in Belgium and Chile in Spain would proceed as planned, but acknowledged that preparations are currently disrupted.Congo is scheduled to open its tournament against Portugal in Houston on June 17, followed by matches against Colombia and Uzbekistan.FIFA said it remains in close contact with Congo’s football federation to ensure all medical and security directives are passed on to the team. Behind the scenes, however, there is growing concern that the outbreak could spread to additional countries and affect the tournament.The United States has already begun taking unusual measures. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced a temporary entry ban on foreign nationals who visited Congo, Uganda or South Sudan during the previous three weeks. The ban will remain in effect for 30 days.😳 BREAKING: Relatives in Congo burned down an Ebola treatment center after doctors wouldn’t release their family member’s bodyAccording to CNN, relatives of a patient who died from Ebola attacked and burned the facility after being told they could not take the body due to… pic.twitter.com/MZRbPuKsoF— NEXTA (@nexta_tv) May 22, 2026 Congolese team officials said players themselves are unlikely to be affected because most train and play in Europe and have not recently been in the country.However, staff members or officials returning to Congo during the sensitive period could face quarantine upon arrival in the United States. American authorities also stressed that the restrictions would apply not only to athletes but also to fans, potentially preventing thousands of Congolese supporters from attending the World Cup.Fans of the national team have begun expressing frustration over the consequences of the crisis.5 View gallery FIFA President Gianni Infantino (Photo: ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS / AFP)One prominent voice was a sports journalist from national television, who questioned why the entire country was being penalized even though the outbreak’s epicenter is in the far east, about 1,800 kilometers from the capital, Kinshasa.“Why should the whole country be banned?” he asked angrily, referring to the U.S. Embassy’s decision to suspend visa services in Congo.Well-known supporter Michel Nkuka aka Lumumba, famous in Congo for his impersonations of former prime minister Patrice Lumumba, also commented on the situation in remarks to the BBC.“I am confident that I will be travelling,” he said. “But I don't know how far the ministry is with the applications.”
Ebola crisis in Congo raises fears ahead of 2026 World Cup
Less than a month before the 2026 World Cup, Congo’s Ebola outbreak is raising global concern; The team canceled its Kinshasa camp, the US imposed entry restrictions and FIFA is monitoring fears that the crisis could disrupt the summer tournament










