ToplineHuman smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia—the man erroneously deported to El Salvador last year, and who White House critics have held up as a symbol of the injustice of President Donald Trump’s mass deportation efforts—were dismissed Friday by a federal judge’s blistering decision.Garcia pleaded not guilty to the charges against him. Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty ImagesKey FactsA federal judge dismissed the criminal case against Garcia, which was brought after the Maryland resident challenged his deportation.U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the evidence presented to him in court “sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power.”The judge pointed out former U.S. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche, saying “unrebutted” public comments he made “tying the reopened investigation to Abrego's successful lawsuit taints the investigation with a vindictive motive.”From Crenshaw’s Decision: ‘tainted Investigation’“The evidence before this Court sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power. The Court does not reach its conclusion lightly. The objective evidence here shows that, absent Abrego’s successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the Government would not have brought this prosecution. The Executive Branch closed its investigation on the November 2022 traffic stop. Only after Abrego succeeded in vindicating his rights did the Executive Branch reopen that investigation. What the Government labels as ‘new evidence’ was not new as a matter of law. The prosecutor’s subjective good faith does not cure the retaliatory taint. Absent Blanche’s tainted investigation. . . [the prosecutor] would not have sought an indictment against Abrego. The indictment then provided the Executive Branch cover to comply with Judge Xinis’ order to facilitate Abrego’s return to the United States as soon as possible. Abrego’s motion to dismiss the indictment must be granted.” Crucial QuoteIn a statement released by We are CASA, an advocacy group, Garcia said, “Justice is a big word and an even bigger promise to fulfill; and I am grateful that today, justice has taken a step forward.”Key BackgroundGarcia was arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement in March 2025 and deported through one of the Trump administration’s mass deportation flights. The deportation, according to White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, was the result of a clerical error, with Robert Cerna, the acting director of the ICE Dallas Field Office, admitting in sworn testimony Garcia’s removal was “an error” and “an oversight.” The Supreme Court partially ruled in favor of Garcia, ordering the Trump administration to facilitate his return. After Garcia was finally returned home, federal investigators brought smuggling charges against Garcia, reopening a 2022 traffic stop case in which he was accused of speeding with nine undocumented immigrants in his vehicle (authorities did not pursue charges at the time). Garcia was imprisoned when the charges were brought against him but later secured home confinement in December after a judge ruled ICE had no legal basis to keep him detained. With the charges dismissed, he will no longer be detained. Further ReadingSupreme Court Orders Trump Administration To Facilitate Return Of Mistakenly Deported Maryland Man (Forbes)Judge Says Trump Administration Must Give Daily Updates On Return Of Mistakenly Deported Maryland Man (Forbes)