NewsUS NewsDonald TrumpUS director of national intelligence Tulsi Gabbard has announced she will quit the role - she becomes the fourth cabinet member to leave during Trump’s second term22:47, 22 May 2026Updated 22:50, 22 May 2026Tulsi Gabbard has resigned as Donald Trump’s director of national intelligence.‌The 45-year-old Republican said she was quitting to help care for her husband Abraham Williams, who is battling an "extremely rare form of bone cancer".‌Gabbard, who ran in the Democratic presidential primaries against Joe Biden in 2020 before later joining the Republican party, becomes the fourth cabinet member to depart during Trump’s second term. She will leave the role on June 30, according to a letter shared on social media this afternoon.‌Trump said in a post on his Truth Social platform that Tulsi "has done an incredible job" and said her principal deputy, Aaron Lukas, will serve as acting director of national intelligence.‌READ MORE: Anti-Trump trans star sends message to JK Rowling as he blames Potter author for hateREAD MORE: Five bombshells from new Trump UFO files - mystery ‘fireballs’ to orbs swarming jetsIn her resignation letter addressed to Donald Trump, Gabbard said: "I am deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half."Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026. My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer. He faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months. At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle."Abraham has been my rock throughout our eleven years of marriage - standing steadfast through my deployment to East Africa on a Joint Special Operations mission, multiple political campaigns, and now my service in this role. His strength and love have sustained me through every challenge. I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming position.Article continues below"While we have made significant progress at the ODNI — advancing unprecedented transparency and restoring integrity to the intelligence community — I recognize there is still important work to be done. I am fully committed to ensuring a smooth and thorough transition over the coming weeks so that you and your team experience no disruption in leadership or momentum."Thank you for your understanding during this deeply personal and difficult time for our family. I will remain forever grateful to you and to the American people for the profound honour of serving our nation as DNI."Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.‌Joe BidenDonald TrumpPublic servicesPolitics