The murder trial of two inmates accused of killing paedophile Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins has collapsed after jurors raised 'concerns' while deliberating. The disgraced singer was stabbed to death by Rico Gedel, 25, in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield, where he was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences.Leeds Crown Court heard that after walking out of the cell, Gedel handed the makeshift knife to fellow inmate Samuel Dodsworth, 44, who threw it in a bin.Both defendants denied murdering Watkins and possessing a knife in prison.Jurors had been sent out to consider their verdicts on Tuesday but were today discharged from their duties.Judge Mr Justice Hilliard told them: 'I can't let the trial carry on with the concerns that have been raised when I don't think that I can allay them.'I can't take that risk so very reluctantly I'm going to discharge you and the case will have to be retried. That's disappointing for you and for everyone.'It's no reflection on anyone. I can see how the situation may have arisen but the trial has to come first and I'm trusted with the task of ensuring its integrity. Paedophile former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins was stabbed to death in his cell at high-security HMP Wakefield, where he was serving a 29-year sentence for child sexual offences Leeds Crown Court heard that after walking out of the cell, Rico Gedel (pictured) handed the makeshift knife to fellow inmate Samuel Dodsworth, 44, who threw it in a bin Gedel's co-accused Samuel Dodsworth, 43, pleaded not guilty to Watkins' murder'I'm sure you'll understand that. I have to take a safety first approach.'Details of the 'concerns' raised which caused the trial to collapse cannot legally be disclosed because jury room discussions are sacrosanct.Gedel earlier told the trial he hated being housed with sex offenders at Wakefield and had threatened to hurt 'any number of paedophiles' if he was not transferred.He said he chose Watkins largely due to 'proximity', as he had been put in the cell next to him the night before, after being moved from another wing for assaulting three prisoners there.Gedel said 'part of him' wanted to kill Watkins, but another part did not, adding: 'Sometimes what your heart wants is not what your brain wants.'Prosecutors had said Gedel and Dodsworth were both guilty of murder because Dodsworth 'knew the attack was going to happen' and assisted Gedel by disposing of the knife.Dodsworth, who is serving a sentence for raping a woman, said he played no part in the attack and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.He said Gedel handed the knife to him after emerging from Watkins' cell, and he tried to give it back but ended up throwing it away after panicking at the sight of an injured Watkins.Leeds Crown Court heard Watkins was long considered vulnerable behind bars due to his crimes' notoriety and as other prisoners believed he had access to money.The day before Watkins was killed, he had received two threatening notes - one of which demanded £500 and warned if there was a failure to pay: 'I promise you I will get your head cracked open, you snitch.''If it's not done by Saturday, you will see what will happen to you. Don't f*** about now, this is your last chance now.'Watkins, from Pontypridd in South Wales, had been jailed in 2013 after admitting a catalogue of child sex offences, including engaging in sexual activity with a child and the attempted rape of an 11-month-old baby.He was handed consecutive 14-year and 15-year jail terms, with further sentences for 11 other offences to run alongside the 29-year minimum term. CCTV footage captured Gedel entering Watkins' cell at 9.19am on October 11 before leaving 20 seconds later.He was later recorded on a prison officer's bodycam saying: 'Have a good night's sleep, Watkins lad.'He was also said to have bragged to officers, 'If I've killed him, you could be talking to someone famous' as well as 'If I'm going to do life for murder, I'm going to make sure it’s worth it'.During the trial, Gedel admitted slashing Watkins with a makeshift blade but denied intending to cause him serious harm.A retrial has been scheduled to start on February 8 next year.