Uganda has suspended all travel between it and neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, to minimise the risk of cross-border transmission of the Ebola virus.
The outbreak of the highly contagious haemorrhagic fever was declared last week in the DRC’s eastern Ituri province which adjoins Uganda.
"Given Uganda's proximity to the epicentre and strong cross-border linkages, the risk of further importation remains high," said health ministry permanent secretary Diana Atwine in a statement.
The virus is suspected to have claimed 160 lives out of nearly 671 probable cases in the neighbouring DRC, according to figures published by the National Institute for Public Health on Thursday.
Kampala’s health ministry said all public transport, including ferries and cross-border buses, has been suspended for four weeks, although cargo and food transport will be allowed to continue.












