Activists on a humanitarian aid flotilla to Gaza seized by Israel have accused the military of sexual assault, violence and rape while they were in detention. Israeli forces arrested 430 people on board 50 ships in international waters on Tuesday to halt a flotilla of volunteers trying to bring aid supplies to the Gaza Strip.Its handling of the flotilla faced international criticism after far right security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir mocked detainees bound with zip-ties in a video posted to his X account. Now the activists have been released they have made allegations of serious abuse during their capture, which Israel has strongly denied. The video of an Israeli minister mocking flotilla detainees has sparked worldwide condemnation (X/Itamar Ben-Gvir)Catriona Graham, a 37-year-old Irish activist and one of the main co-ordinators of the mission, told The Independent the group had received multiple reports of abuse. “We have had at least 15 reports so far of sexual assaults and more than 30 reports of broken bones,” she said, although the group are waiting for final numbers as they still remain separated from each other.At least one person was still in surgery due to his injuries as of last night, she says.Luca Poggi, an Italian economist among those detained aboard the flotilla, said on his arrival in Rome: "We were stripped, thrown to the ground, kicked. Many of us were tasered, some were sexually assaulted, and some were denied access to a lawyer."French national Adrien Jouan shows injuries to his back (Reuters)Sabrina Charik, who helped organise the return of 37 French citizens from the flotilla, told Reuters five French participants had been hospitalised in Turkey, some with broken ribs or fractured vertebrae. Some had made detailed accusations of sexual violence, including of rape, she said.In an Instagram post by an activist group, French national Adrien Jouen showed bruises across his back and on his forearms.In response, Israel denied claims of mistreatment. “The allegations raised are false and entirely without factual basis," an Israeli prison service spokesperson said in a statement.“All prisoners and detainees are held in accordance with the law, with full regard for their basic rights and under the supervision of professional and trained prison staff," it said. “Medical care is provided according to professional medical judgment and in accordance with Ministry of Health guidelines.”A number of activists say they suffered injuries and some required medical treatment (Getty)Hillel Newman, Israeli ambassador to Australia, also denied that flotilla participants were treated badly and rejected claims of sexual abuse and violence against eleven Australians.“Out of the 400-plus people that were on the flotilla, no one was harmed,” he told the ABC on Thursday, claiming the activists were handled with “great sensitivity”.The new allegations of abuse will add to pressure on Israeli authorities to explain the treatment of the detainees, whose plight was initially highlighted by the Ben-Gvir footage.Graham was seen at the start of the video shouting “Free Palestine” while the minister taunted prisoners at a processing centre earlier this week.Israel has denied the activists were mistreated (AFP/Getty)“They had a line of commandos between about 10 of us and them and a ring more of military around him,” she told The Independent. “There was just no way to let him walk by and have us be in silence while he's gloating. I know that there is a video of me shouting ‘Free Palestine’ at Ben-Gvir, and there have been responses to that and condemnation of Ben-Gvir as an individual, even within the Israeli government.“But I think it's really important that they do not get to scapegoat him. He has been doing far, far worse to Palestinian prisoners for years.”After the interaction, Graham says she was dragged along the ground into isolation and forced to lie on her face while zip-tied as eight men stood above her discussing what should be done to her. She says she has since been treated for bruising and swelling.Graham says she noticed a marked escalation in violence from her last flotilla trip in 2025, and claims once intercepted they were told: “You have words, we have weapons.”A group of Italian activists arriving home at Fiumicino airport (Reuters)“They were clear in their threats of violence with us and threats to use weapons,” she said. “We were very, very concerned that people were going to be killed.”Graham says she saw a fellow activist shot with a rubber bullet, another punched, and others dragged and shoved repeatedly. The group is now planning a legal case to sue Israel for its alleged treatment and have accused the country of perpetrating war crimes and violations of international law in its treatment of both themselves and the Palestinians. “What they are doing to the Palestinians is far worse,” says Graham. “They're left in detention and in isolation, sometimes in dark underground cells, and have no support or warm physical contact, all while knowing that the lives of their family and friends have been threatened.”The on-camera treatment of the detainees has since been condemned by the international community, including British home secretary Yvette Cooper, and even by Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu himself. “The way that Minister Ben-Gvir dealt with the flotilla activists is not in line with Israel’s values and norms,” Netanyahu said. “I have instructed the relevant authorities to deport the provocateurs as soon as possible.”
Gaza flotilla activists accuse Israel of ‘sexual assault, violence and rape’
Activists who were onboard the Global Sumud Flotilla have accused the Israeli military of beatings and sexual assault - Israel has strongly denied the allegations













