SYDNEY: A second group of Australian women and children linked to the Daesh extremist group have departed a refugee camp in northeast Syria and may be returning to Australia, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported on Friday.
The broadcaster said a bus carrying the group left the Al-Roj camp on Thursday afternoon under escort by a convoy of Syrian government officials. The group is expected to reach Damascus, though it remains unclear when they might travel to Australia, the report said.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said Australia’s security and intelligence agencies had been preparing for the return of women linked to Daesh for more than a decade.
“This is not a coherent group, there is a spectrum in terms of the actions of the individuals while they have been away from Australia,” Burke said by email.
He did not provide details about the group’s travel to Australia.











