World championships medallist Vinesh Phogat. File
| Photo Credit: The Hindu
Delhi High Court pulled up Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) on Friday (May 22, 2026) over decision to declare wrestler Vinesh Phogat ‘ineligible’ to participate in domestic events.The court directed the Centre to form expert committee to evaluate Ms. Phogat to ensure her participation in upcoming Asian Games selection trials.The WFI on May 9, issued a show-cause notice to the World championships medallist Ms. Phogat on different grounds, including her failure to stick to the weight restriction at the Paris Olympics, anti-doping issues (multiple whereabouts failures) and participating in two weight categories during the trials for an Olympic qualifier.The WFI said she could not be allowed to compete due to the mandatory six-month notice period that athletes need to serve before returning from retirement under anti-doping rules.Ms. Phogat, who retired following her disqualification from the 2024 Paris Olympics and gave birth to a boy in July last year, reversed her retirement decision on December 12, 2025. A defiant Vinesh showed up at the National Open Ranking Tournament in Gonda even though WFI had declared her ineligible. She has responded to the notice and refused to back down despite WFI’s strict position.On Ms. Phogat’s return after maternity break, Delhi HC remarked that WFI departure from past selection criteria speaks volume, adding that motherhood is celebrated in the country.Whatever may be the feud or dispute, why should cause of wrestling suffer, wondered the Bench.Recently, making a startling revelation Ms. Phogat said that she was among the six women wrestlers allegedly sexually harassed by former Wrestling Federation of India chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh against whom she had participated in the protest by women wrestlers in 2023.(With PTI inputs) Published - May 22, 2026 01:24 pm IST






