IN BRIEFOfficials have confirmed action against Belle Gibson is ongoing nearly a decade after the Federal Court ruling.Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said in February that Consumer Affairs Victoria "won't let up" in chasing the outstanding penalty.Consumer Affairs Victoria has confirmed disgraced wellness influencer Belle Gibson's unpaid $410,000 court penalty has not been written off, with the state consumer watchdog saying it will continue to pursue the debt nearly a decade after the Federal Court ruling.The clarification came during a parliamentary estimates hearing on Friday, after Victorian Nationals MP Jade Benham questioned officials about the status of the long-outstanding penalty and whether it had effectively been abandoned as bad debt.Benham referenced comments made by Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan earlier this year that Consumer Affairs Victoria was "constantly and consistently" pursuing Gibson over the fine, imposed in 2017 after she admitted lying about having terminal brain cancer and misleading consumers."I don't have any information that says that has been written off," Victoria's Consumer Affairs Minister Paul Edbrooke told the hearing before referring the question to Consumer Affairs Victoria director Nicole Rich."No, it hasn’t been written off," Rich said."Ms Benham, we will continue to pursue that. It's a court penalty, so it will continue to be owed."A Consumer Affairs Victoria spokesperson told SBS News the watchdog "has continued to undertake actions" to enforce the debt owed by Gibson under court order.Gibson was ordered by the Federal Court in 2017 to pay $410,000 after Consumer Affairs Victoria successfully sued her for misleading and deceptive conduct over false claims she had terminal brain cancer and other cancers and had cured them through diet and alternative therapies.She had also falsely claimed profits from her wellness brand, app and cookbook business would be donated to charity.Interest and penalties later pushed the amount owed beyond $500,000, while authorities previously raided Gibson's Northcote home in attempts to seize assets.The case returned to public attention last year, following the release of Netflix drama Apple Cider Vinegar, which dramatised Gibson's rise and fall and renewed scrutiny on whether the debt would ever be recovered.Allan said in February that Consumer Affairs Victoria "won’t let up" in pursuing the outstanding penalty.For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.
'Has that been written off?': Fresh questions over Belle Gibson's $410,000 fine
The questions come after Premier Jacinta Allan said the consumer watchdog was "constantly and consistently" pursuing the fine.













