Today07:53 BST'Good signs' deal to end Iran war could be in sight, says RubioUS secretary of state Marco Rubio says there are "good signs" a deal to end the Iran war could be in sight, but added he doesn't want to be "overly optimistic".He told reporters: "So, let's see what happens over the next few days.Rubio added that Iran's desire to impose a toll on ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz was acting as an obstacle to a potential peace agreement.US Secretary of State Marco Rubio(Image: POOL/AFP via Getty Images)Today07:35 BSTRepublicans pull vote on limiting Trump's Iran war powersRepublican leaders in the US House of Representatives suddenly cancelled a planned vote yesterday over a measure aimed at limiting Donald Trump's power to take military action against Iran.The vote was pulled after Republicans appeared close to losing as several members were absent."Republicans cowardly pulled a scheduled vote on a War Powers Resolution - legislation that would have passed with bipartisan support and required the President to end the conflict in the Middle East," House of Representatives Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries, Whip Katherine Clark and Caucus Chair Pete Aguilar said in a statement.Democrats have repeatedly pushed for votes in both the House and Senate to restrict Trump's war powers over Iran, with some Republicans increasingly backing the effort in recent weeks.Today06:51 BSTPakistan's mediator meets with Iranian officialIran's semi-official Tasnim news agency has reported that Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi has held a meeting with Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.The pair reportedly reviewed the latest proposals to end the US-Iran conflict.‌Today04:35 BSTIran and Oman in talks over payment system for ships crossing Strait of HormuzThe New York Times has reported that Iran and Oman are in talks over a payment system for ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz.This comes despite warnings from the Trump administration.Today03:24 BSTNATO fear Russia planting nuclear missiles on Arctic seabed in secret projectNATO intelligence officials believe Russia is developing underwater nuclear missile systems which could be concealed on the Arctic seabed, according to reports.Read the full story here.Today02:21 BSTIsraeli forces reportedly target area in Syria’s Deraa provinceIsraeli forces have reportedly targeted an area between villages in the western countryside of Syria’s Deraa province, according to Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA).No information has been reported regarding casualties.‌21st May22:38 BSTNATO allies upset US by ‘going into hiding’ during Iran war – Marco RubioThe White House is “very upset” with Nato members for “going into hiding” during the Iran war, US secretary of state Marco Rubio has said.America’s top diplomat levelled his latest criticism as he headed to a meeting of counterparts from the military alliance in Sweden.UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper is among those expected to attend.While Mr Rubio did not specifically name the UK, Donald Trump has been scathing over Britain’s reluctance to be drawn into the conflict, accusing Sir Keir Starmer of being weak and deriding the Royal Navy.It sparked reports the US could review its position on Britain’s claim to the Falkland Islands as punishment.Marco Rubio(Image: Getty Images)21st May22:00 BSTTrump sends 5,000 troops to PolandThe United States will be sending an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, Donald Trump said on Thursday.Trump, in a Truth Social post, cited his relationship with Poland's conservative nationalist president, Karol Nawrocki, as the reason behind his decision to send additional troops.The announcement comes two days after Vice President JD Vance told reporters a US troop deployment to Poland had been delayed.The US had been reviewing its troop presence in Europe and had long been expected to scale it back following demands from Trump that NATO take a larger ‌role in the defense of Europe."Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland," Trump said in the post.21st May20:14 BSTIran ambassador ceremony goes ahead after protests-related delayThe Iranian ambassador has been presented with credentials, four months after the ceremony was postponed because of the suppression of protests in Iran.Eshagh Alhabib presented his Letters of Credence to President Catherine Connolly at Aras an Uachtarain on Thursday.In January, the Department of Foreign Affairs said the decision to delay the ceremony was taken after a “significant” number of Iranian demonstrators were killed and injured.Protests sparked by the country’s ailing economy began in late December, and escalated into rallies opposing Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his regime.They continued despite the internet and telephone lines being cut off and thousands were killed and detained in a bloody crackdown by the Revolutionary Guard.‌21st May18:16 BSTFTSE 100 edges higher despite oil price gainsThe FTSE 100 ended a see-saw session in the green, as rising mining stocks offset disappointing earnings and a higher oil price.The FTSE 100 closed up 11.13 points, 0.1%, at 10,443.47. The FTSE 250 ended up 109.54 points, 0.5%, at 22,947.92, and the AIM All-Share rose 3.83 points, 0.5%, at 796.64.Oil prices were back on the rise as International Energy Agency chief Fatih Birol warned oil supplies could be “entering the red zone” if there is no progress towards resolving the Middle East war and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.Brent crude for July delivery traded higher at 107.98 US dollars a barrel on Thursday, up from 105.26 dollars at the time of the equities close in London on Wednesday.21st May16:51 BST'There's some good signs' - Rubio A diplomatic deal between the United States and Iran would be unfeasible if Tehran implemented a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Thursday."No one in the world is in favour of the tolling system. It can't happen. It would be unacceptable. It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it's a threat to the world if they were trying to do that, and it's completely illegal," Rubio said.He also told reporters there had been some progress in talks with Tehran to end the US-Israeli war on Iran, but that Washington was dealing with "a system that itself is a little fractured.""There's some good signs," Rubio said. "I don't want to be overly optimistic ... So, let's see what happens over the next few days."21st May15:51 BSTReeves targets oil and gas profits with plans to close tax loopholeCampaigners have cheered the Chancellor’s move to take aim at oil and gas profits with plans to close a tax loophole on overseas activities and raise hundreds of millions of pounds.In a speech outlining cost-of-living support measures for households and businesses, Rachel Reeves said she would stop firms – including oil and gas giants such as BP and Shell – from reducing their tax liabilities by using corporate structures involving foreign branches.She said some oil and gas groups that operate overseas through foreign branches “have structured their tax affairs in a way which ensures they pay little or no corporation tax on their UK energy trading profits”.“Today we are putting an end to that practice,” she announced.‌21st May14:53 BSTIsraeli attacks kill more than 3,000 people in LebanonIsraeli attacks have killed at least 3,089 people in Lebanon and injured at least 9,397 in the country since March 2, Lebanon's Health Ministry has said.21st May13:31 BSTIran’s near-total internet blackout enters 83rd dayIran's near-total internet blackout has entered its 83rd day, according to global internet monitor NetBlocks.Iranian authorities first cut internet access for the country’s 92 million citizens on January 8 as nationwide protests intensified. Restrictions were partially eased on January 28, although severe disruption remained in place.Authorities imposed a new blackout after US-Israeli strikes began on February 28.Content cannot be displayed without consent21st May12:18 BSTIran's Supreme Leader risks Trump's fury with nuclear demandIran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has issued a directive that the country's near-weapons-grade uranium should remain in the country, two senior Iranian sources told Reuters.Khamenei's alleged order is expected to further anger US President Donald Trump and complicate talks on ending the war in the Middle East.Read more on this breaking story here.Iran's Supreme Leader has issued a directive that the country's uranium should not be sent abroad(Image: ISNA/AFP via Getty Images)‌21st May10:06 BST20 Iranian sailors on board vessel seized by US return to TehranTwenty Iranian sailors on board a vessel seized by US forces have returned to Tehran from Islamabad, according to Iran’s IRNA."The release was achieved after intensive consultations between Iranian Foreign Minister and his Pakistani and Singaporean counterparts," the report said.21st May09:23 BST42 US aircraft lost or damaged in Iran war - congressional reportForty-two US aircraft have been lost or damaged in the Iran war - including three F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets worth a total of $300 million downed by friendly fire - according to a report filed by the Congressional Research Service.21st May08:59 BSTPakistan army chief to visit TehranPakistan's army chief Asim Munir is heading to Tehran amid its efforts to mediate talks between Iran and the US to end the war in the Middle East, according to Iran’s ISNA news agency.Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqv arrived in Tehran yesterday. It was his second visit in less than a week.‌21st May08:07 BSTIran will face 'punishment' from US military if deal is not reached, says White House officialWhite House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller says Iran will "face punishment from our military" if Tehran fails to agree to a deal as negotiations appear to stall."This new team in Iran has a choice to make," Miller told Fox News. "They can either agree to a piece of paper that is satisfactory to the United States, or they can face a punishment from our military, the likes of which has not been seen in modern history. That’s the choice that they face."21st May07:37 BSTTrump says talks are in 'final stages' as he warns US will get a 'little bit nasty' if deal isn't reachedDonald Trump insisted that negotiations with Iran were in the "final stages", but reiterated his familiar threats, saying the US would do things that are a "little bit nasty" if a deal is not reached."We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens. Either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won’t happen." Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews on Wednesday. "Ideally, I’d like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way."21st May07:21 BSTTrump threatens to hit Iran 'even harder'Donald Trump said the US may have to attack Iran "even harder" if Tehran does not make a deal soon."We’ll see what happens," the US president said during an address at the US Coast Guard Academy on Wednesday. "We hit them very hard. We may have to hit them even harder - but maybe not."“Everything’s gone. Their navy’s gone. Their air force is gone. Just about everything. The only question is, do we go and finish it up? Are they going to be signing a document? Let’s see what happens."‌21st May06:43 BSTIran executes two men it says were part of 'terrorist group'It is being reported that Iran has executed two people.Tasnim news agency reported that Iran's charges against the men were: creating a group to disrupt the country's security and belonging to a terrorist organisation.They were also accused of "armed uprising through the formation of criminal groups, shooting and attempted assassination in line with the goals of the terrorist group".21st May06:01 BSTIran military official: 'This time, we do not intend to act with restraint'Russian media has reported that Iran has advanced weapons that have not yet been deployed.Al Jazeera news agency reported that an Iranian military official, speaking on Iran’s preparedness for another US strike, told the RIA Novosti news agency: "We have produced modern weapons domestically, which have not yet been used on the battlefield and have not actually been tested.""In terms of equipment and defence capabilities, we do not face any shortages that would prevent us from defending our country.""This time, we do not intend to act with restraint."21st May04:34 BSTNour News Agency reports Washington and Tehran discussing wording of proposed ceasefireWashington and Tehran are in discussions over the wording of a proposed ceasefire document, Iran’s Nour News Agency reported."Based on the original text of Iran’s 14 points, the exchange of messages has been carried out on several occasions," Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said."We have received the views of the American side and are reviewing them."The messages are being exchanged through Pakistan.The comments were made during a visit by Pakistan’s interior minister Mohsen Naqvi.‌21st May03:11 BSTTrump and ally Netanyahu clash over Iran peace proposal, reports sayUS President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have reportedly had an explosive phone call as the allies clashed over the war in Iran.Trump told the Israeli leader on Tuesday, May 19, that mediators were working on a "letter of intent" which both Washington and Tehran would sign, while Netanyahu urged the US to continue to put military pressure on Iran, according to reports by Israel's Channel 12.21st May00:46 BSTHezbollah launches more than 20 attacks on Israeli forcesHezbollah has claimed that it launched more than 20 attacks on Israeli forces in southern Lebanon on Wednesday, May 20.20th May23:53 BSTIsrael carries out strikes on southern LebanonLebanon’s official National News Agency has reported that Israeli forces carried out a series of attacks across the southern part of the country.The National News Agency reported that eight towns were targeted with air strikes and heavy gunfire.‌20th May22:46 BSTUN calls for Gaza flotilla activists to be 'returned swiftly' by IsraelGaza flotilla activists detained by Israel must “be returned swiftly to their own countries, and it is imperative that they be treated well”, says UN chief Antonio Guterres’s spokesperson.“Everyone who has been detained by the Israeli authorities who were members of the flotilla needs to be treated with respect and dignity, like anyone who is detained,” Stephane Dujarric told reporters at a briefing in New York.“And they need to be returned back to their homes, immediately.”20th May22:11 BSTGreece calls capturing of Gaza flotilla activists 'unacceptable'Greece has joined the countries demanding the release of Gaza flotilla activists by Israel after they were captured in international waters.“The behaviour of the Israeli Minister of National Security [Itamar Ben-Gvir] which was directed against the [Greek] citizens participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla, is unacceptable and absolutely condemnable,” said the Greek Foreign Ministry in a statement.“We demand full respect for international humanitarian law and human rights and call on the Israeli authorities to proceed with the rapid completion of all procedures and the immediate release of the Greek citizens."The Global Sumud Flotilla ships detained by Israel are brought to Ashdod Port(Image: Anadolu via Getty Images)20th May21:01 BSTIranian President says country won't 'surrender through coercion'The Iranian President says that the country has "explored every avenue to avert war” but would not "surrender through coercion".Writing on X, Masoud Pezeshkian he said: "Iran has consistently honored its commitments and explored every avenue to avert war; all paths remain open from our side."Forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion. Mutual respect in diplomacy is far wiser, safer, and more sustainable than war."‌‌