40 minutes ago

Seymour said his comments were not informed by any prior knowledge, but that Thompson's departure was not surprising.

Deputy Prime Minister David Seymour says he did not know RNZ's chief executive had plans to resign when he earlier suggested changes were coming for its leadership.

In a surprise statement on Friday morning, RNZ's board announced Paul Thompson would step down at the end of the year, after 13 years in the role.

The departure was foreshadowed by Seymour last month, when he criticised RNZ's management during an interview on The Platform and suggested Thompson would not be "answering the call at RNZ for much longer".