A judge on Thursday handed down an extraordinary prison sentence – nearly 42 years – to the former leader of a Minnesota charity who was convicted in a staggering US$250 million fraud case that helped ignite an immigration crackdown by the Trump administration.Aimee Bock ran Feeding Our Future, which had claimed it helped provide millions of meals to children in need during the coronavirus pandemic.“I understand I failed. I failed the public, my family, everyone,” Bock said in federal court.US President Donald Trump used the fraud cases against Bock and many others to initially justify a massive surge of federal officers to the Minneapolis-St Paul area last winter, leading to a pushback by residents and the deaths of two people.“Feeding Our Future operated like a cash pipeline, open to anyone willing to submit fraudulent claims and pay kickbacks,” prosecutors said in a court filing. “The ripple effects of her actions are profound, immeasurable, and will have lasting consequences for both Minnesota and the nation.”Bock was convicted last year of multiple counts involving conspiracy, wire fraud and bribery. She had long insisted she was innocent.Her lawyer, Kenneth Udoibok, argued for a much shorter sentence, saying Bock had provided information to investigators. He argued that Bock had been unfairly painted as the mastermind and insisted that two co-defendants were responsible for running the scams.