A view of 35-km long stretch between Bikarnakatte in Mangaluru and Sanur (Karkala) in Udupi district of NH-169 which has witnessed 25 accidents so far this year.
| Photo Credit: H. S. Manjunath
In light of 25 accidents, including 11 fatal ones, reported on the Bikarnakatte (Mangaluru) -Sanur (Karkala) stretch of NH-169 so far till May 21 during this year, the Mangaluru City police have suggested to NHAI measures for reducing accidents on the stretch where highway widening project is on.The suggestions were made after Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime and Traffic) K. Ravi Shankar drove on Wednesday through the 35-km long stretch from Kudupu Katte in Mangaluru to Barady Cross, near Karkala in Udupi district, to inspect the places, more so the ones where more than two accidents were reported. Among the officials who accompanied him included NHAI Mangaluru office project director Abdulla Javed Azmi and PWD executive engineer Raghavendra Nayak.Mr. Shankar told The Hindu on Thursday that he has suggested closure of medians at some places. He also asked NHAI to speed up the work and complete service roads at some stretches, which will prevent motorists in the area from entering the National Highway. He has also suggested rumble strips, installation of street lights and other traffic safety measures. “The NHAI officials have assured of incorporating the suggestions within a month,” Mr. Shankar said. Published - May 21, 2026 09:01 pm IST







