Busch is "currently undergoing treatment," according to a statement posted Thursday to his social media account. He will miss all of this weekend's activities in Charlotte. Jonathan Bachman / Getty ImagesMay 21, 2026 11:03 am EDTKyle Busch was hospitalized with a “severe illness,” according to a family statement, and will miss all NASCAR activity this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway — including the crown jewel Coca-Cola 600 race on Sunday — and will be replaced by Austin Hill in the No. 8 Chevrolet.In a Thursday morning statement posted to Busch’s social media account, Busch was said to be “currently undergoing treatment.”“We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation,” the statement said.Richard Childress Racing, which fields Busch’s car in the Cup Series, said the driver’s health was “our utmost priority and he and his family have the full resources of RCR behind them.”“Kyle is an integral part of our organization and we wish him a safe and speedy recovery,” the team said. “His No. 8 Chevrolet will be ready and waiting for him.”
Two weeks ago at Watkins Glen, Busch radioed his team during the race and asked for Bill Heisel, a veteran sports physician assistant who has worked with NASCAR drivers and crew members for years, to meet him at Busch’s motorhome after the checkered flag.“I’m gonna need a shot,” Busch told his team.Asked by The Athletic last week about whether he was feeling better following that radio message, Busch waved his hand to motion toward his face.“You can kind of hear it — I’m still not great,” he said. “The cough was pretty substantial last week.”Despite not feeling at full health, Busch won the Truck Series race last Friday at Dover Motor Speedway and then finished 17th in the NASCAR All-Star Race on Sunday.Busch has won 234 NASCAR national series races, the most of any driver in history. The two-time Cup Series champion and future NASCAR Hall of Famer is in the midst of a challenging season and is currently 24th in the standings.










