US President Donald Trump on Wednesday reiterated his intention to hold direct talks with Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te over a reported $14 billion (€12 billion) arms deal — the first direct talks between the presidents of both countries in over four decades.
"I'll speak to him. I speak to everybody," said Trump when asked about the situation.
Taiwan's Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that Lai would be "happy to discuss these matters with President Trump."
It added that Lai is "committed to maintaining the stable status quo in the Taiwan Strait."
Trump's statement was the second such made since his state visit to China last week.










