Published May 21st, 2026 - 08:17 GMT

ALBAWABA - Iran is quickly rebuilding its military capabilities; it is already producing drones, exceeding US expectations.Iran's military capabilities were well-targeted by US-Israeli airstrikes in the latest war, inspiring what turned out to be false confidence in the US, as Iran is quickly rebuilding what it lost in the attacks, much faster than the US expected, CNN reported citing sources.The rebuilding includes repairing missile sites, launchers, and returning production capacity of key weapon systems to its pre-war levels. Maintaining Iran's position as a threat to regional US allies if Trump decides that the war is back on.Sources also doubt the extent to which US-Israeli airstrikes degraded Iran's long-term capabilities.One US intelligence source noted that Iran could fully rebuild its drone-strike capabilities in as few as six months, saying: "The Iranians have exceeded all timelines the IC had for reconstitution".Iranian military drone performing surveillance over sea and shore. (Shutterstock)Drone strikes are considered Iran's bread and butter against regional allies. While missile strikes are harder to rebuild, Iran is augmenting these ruined sites into more drone launching sites, potentially exceeding the number of pre-war drone launch sites.Trump continues to threaten restarting the war if the talks fall through, saying publicly on Tuesday that he'd been "an hour away from restarting bombing."He may be in surprise if Iran fights back as well as before.The main factors contributing to this quick rebuild include Russian and Chinese support as well as US-Israel over-estimating how much they hurt Iran's capabilities during the war, China continues to provide Iran with "components of missile manufacturing" Netanyahu told CBS last week, declining to elaborate further with Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Guo Jiakun denying the allegations, calling them "not based on facts".⚡️🇺🇸🇮🇷 CNN: U.S. intelligence assessments indicate Iran has already restarted parts of its drone production during the six week ceasefire that began in early April, with officials saying Tehran is rebuilding some military capabilities faster than initially expected.Iran is also… pic.twitter.com/uHyBqa45ee— Global Surveillance (@Globalsurv) May 21, 2026 Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement to CNN:"America’s military is the most powerful in the world and has everything it needs to execute at the time and place of the President’s choosing.”“We have executed multiple successful operations across combatant commands while ensuring the U.S. military possesses a deep arsenal of capabilities to protect our people and our interests,"In contrast, CNN reported that, in April, US intelligence assessed that half of Iran's missile launchers had survived US attacks, raising the estimate to two-thirds in a recent report due to the ongoing ceasefire which might've allowed Iran to dig out launchers that were buried in previous strikes.Not including the large percentage of Iran's coastal defense cruise missiles that remain intact due to the US not focusing their strikes on these sites, this in turn allows Iran to threaten ships crossing the Strait of Hormuz with ease.CENTCOM Adm. Brad Cooper amazingly said that: "Operation Epic Fury significantly degraded Iran’s ballistic missiles and drones while destroying 90% of their defense industrial base, ensuring Iran cannot reconstitute for years," in a testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, almost the opposite of recent US intelligence assessments with two sources telling CNN that the testimony is inconsistent with the intelligence on the ground; further saying that Iran's capabilities will take months, not years, to fully rebuild.