Australia has condemned Israel’s far-right national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir after he was filmed abusing activists detained while en route to Gaza, as diplomats urgently seek the release of at least 11 Australians in custody.Mr Ben-Gvir, a hawk of Israel’s war in Gaza and expansion of the country’s illegal settlements, posted a video to his social media on Wednesday titled “Welcome to Israel”, which showed him taunting activist, with one woman forced to the ground up masked officers after shouting “free, free Palestine”. Later, Mr Ben-Gvir can be seen waving an Israel flag in front of the activists, who are cuffed and kneeling face down in a tent.In a scathing response, Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong said the images posted by Mr Ben-Gvir – who Australia has sanctioned for inciting violence against Palestinians – were “shocking and unacceptable”.“We condemn his actions and the degrading actions of Israeli authorities towards those detained,” she said.Up to 11 Australians are part of the 430 activists who were participating in Global Sumud Flotilla – an international effort to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza and deliver much-needed aid – when it was detained by that country’s security forces. “Australia’s Ambassador to Israel has made representations to Israel, reiterating our call for the release of the detained Australians and for Israel to ensure no ill treatment of any detainees and to act in line with international obligations,” Senator Wong said. “I have also directed DFAT to call in Israel’s Ambassador to Australia to reinforce this message.”Mr Ben-Gvir’s video was met with widespread condemnation, including internationally and among the Israeli cabinet.New Zealand Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters said Australia’s trans-Tasman ally “condemns the behaviour of Israeli Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir”.“Last year, New Zealand placed a travel ban on Minister Ben-Gvir for severely and deliberately undermining peace and security and removing prospects for a two state solution,” he said.“His latest conduct with respect to the Gaza flotilla, which has been seriously criticised by his own Prime Minister, is further vindication of that position. “We expect Israel to adhere to its international legal obligations, including in its treatment of New Zealanders participating in the flotilla. “We have instructed MFAT to call in the Israeli Ambassador today to directly pass on our grave concerns.”Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said the “abominable treatment of civilians aboard the flotilla, including that which is documented in footage shared by Itamar Ben-Gvir, is unacceptable. “Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs has directed officials to summon the Israeli ambassador to demand assurances regarding the safety and security of Canadians involved. “Canada has already imposed strict sanctions on Mr Ben-Gvir, including asset freezes and a travel ban, in response to his repeated incitement of violence. The protection of civilians and respect for human dignity must be upheld everywhere, at all times.”Israel’s own foreign minister, Gideon Sa’ar, condemned his fellow minister, stating that he “knowingly caused harm to our State in this disgraceful display – and not for the first time.“You have undone tremendous, professional, and successful efforts made by so many people – from IDF soldiers to Foreign Ministry staff and many others.“No, you are not the face of Israel.”