WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon announced Tuesday it has reduced the number of US Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) assigned to Europe from four to three, returning troop levels to those seen in 2021.
The decision resulted in a temporary delay of the deployment of US forces to Poland, said the Department of Defense in a statement, describing Poland as "a model US ally."
The Pentagon will determine the final disposition of US forces in Europe "based on further analysis of US strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies' own ability to contribute forces toward Europe's defense," the statement said.
This analysis is designed to advance President Donald Trump's "America First" agenda by incentivizing and enabling NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe's conventional defense, the statement added.
US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz earlier on Tuesday, partly to ensure that the United States retains a strong military presence in Poland, the statement said.










