As tensions across the Middle East continue to escalate, global powers are navigating an increasingly fragile balance between diplomacy and military pressure. Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in Beijing for talks with Chinese leader Xi Jinping, highlighting a deepening Moscow-Beijing alliance following US President Donald Trump’s recent visit to China. Meanwhile, Washington weighs its next steps on Iran, the UAE says it intercepted hostile drones targeting civilian areas, and international concern grows over attacks linked to nuclear infrastructure and maritime security in the Gulf. Follow our live coverage for the latest updates:08:30 PM, 20 May 2026Iraq condemns attacks on UAE and Saudi ArabiaIraq’s Prime Minister and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Ali Faleh Al Zaidi, chaired the first meeting of the Ministerial Council for National Security, where officials reviewed the country’s security situation and ongoing investigations into recent attacks targeting Saudi Arabia and the UAE, according to the Iraqi Prime Minister’s Office.The council renewed its condemnation of the attacks and stressed Iraq’s rejection of the use of its territory or airspace to target neighbouring countries.A special committee was formed to coordinate with authorities in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, while Al Zaidi directed security agencies to take all necessary measures against those responsible if Iraqi territory is confirmed to have been used as a launch point.Read more here.08:23 PM, 20 May 2026'Do we finish it up or do they sign document?' Trump says of IranUS President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that Iran’s naval and air capabilities had been effectively wiped out, while suggesting Washington could still launch further action unless Tehran agrees to a deal.Speaking during a commencement address at the US Coast Guard Academy, Trump said: “Everything’s gone. Their navy’s gone. Their air force is gone. Just about everything.”“The only question is, do we go and finish it up? Are they going to be signing a document? Let’s see what happens,” he added.07:58 PM, 20 May 2026US Treasury yields fall on hopes of US-Iran accordYields on US Treasury bonds tumbled Wednesday after President Donald Trump said American negotiators were close to a potential peace accord with Iran."We're in the final stages of Iran, we'll see what happens," Trump told reporters Wednesday. "We'll either have a deal or we're going to do some things that are a little bit nasty. But hopefully that won't happen."The comments triggered pullback in the yield on the US 30-year Treasury bond, which fell to 5.12 percent after hitting a 19-year peak of 5.18 percent on Tuesday.07:32 PM, 20 May 2026Oil prices plunge 5% on US-Iran deal hopesGlobal oil prices fell more than five percent on Wednesday after President Donald Trump said the US is in the "final stages" of negotiations aimed at ending the Middle East war.Intertional benchmark, Brent North Sea crude, shed 5.2 percent to $105.47 a barrel.The main US contract, West Texas Intermediate, tumbled 5.0 percent to $98.94 a barrel.06:40 PM, 20 May 2026Israel army chief says military 'on highest alert' as threats over Iran war escalateIsrael's army chief Lieutenant Colonel Eyal Zamir on Wednesday said the military was at its highest alert level, as Tehran and Washington traded threats of war."At this moment, the IDF (military) is on the highest level of alert and prepared for any development," Zamir said at a meeting of all division commanders, according to a statement issued by the military.Iran's Revolutionary Guards had earlier warned that the war would expand beyond the region if the US and Israel resumed attacks, after President Donald Trump said he would strike again unless Tehran agreed a peace deal.06:19 PM, 20 May 2026Iran chief negotiator Ghalibaf says US 'seeks to start new war'Iran's chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday said the United States was seeking to restart the war and hoping the Islamic republic would surrender."The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war," Ghalibaf said in an audio message on his official website.Ghalibaf's remarks came as Tehran and Washington escalated threats while swapping proposals to end the war, which broke out on February 28. A ceasefire has been in place since April 8.On Wednesday, Iran's Revolutionary Guards warned that the war would expand beyond the region if the US and Israel resume attacks after President Donald Trump said he would strike again unless Tehran agreed a peace deal.Ghalibaf said the US was still hoping Iran would surrender and respond favourably to Washington's "excessive demands", by maintaining economic pressure and a naval blockade in place since April 13.We must strengthen our preparations for an effective and forceful response to any potential attacks. Iran will never give in to intimidation, under any circumstancesMohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iran's chief negotiatorGhalibaf acknowledged the economic pressure on Iranians, while appealing for "national unity"."Today it is clearer than ever that we are engaged in a war of wills. Whoever wins this war will write Iran's history and determine its future," he said.Get updated faster and for FREE: Download the Gulf News app now - simply click here.06:17 PM, 20 May 2026ADNOC CEO says Hormuz bypass pipeline nearly 50% complete