Two law enforcement officers who fought off a mob of Donald Trump’s supporters at the Capitol on January 6 have filed the first federal lawsuit to dissolve the administration’s newly created fund that rioters may turn to for multi-million dollar taxpayer payouts.The lawsuit from former Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn and Metropolitan Police Department Officer Daniel Hodges seeks to block the nearly $1.8 billion compensation fund, which was launched as part of a settlement agreement between the president and the IRS after the president sued his own administration for $10 billion.The men were beaten and bloodied by rioters on the day of the attack and have spent the last several years facing “credible threats of death and violence on regular basis” from members of the mob, they said Wednesday.Trump has already issued sweeping pardons for virtually every person charged in connection with the attack. The officers now anticipate members of the mob will file claims with the “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” effectively serving as their “reward” — endorsed by the president — for attacking law enforcement officers.Those payments will “directly finance the violent operations of rioters, paramilitaries, and their supporters,” according to the complaint.Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn is suing the Trump administration to dissolve a newly created compensation fund intended to support the president’s allies after January 6 rioters who assaulted police were not ruled out from eligibility (AFP/Getty)“Militias like the Proud Boys will use money from the Fund to arm and equip themselves. The Fund will grant their pasts acts of violence legal imprimatur. And, most chillingly, the Fund will signal to past and potential future perpetrators of violence against Dunn and Hodges that they need not fear prosecution; to the contrary, they should expect to be rewarded,” the lawsuit argues.“This Fund creates enormous physical dangers for Officers Dunn and Hodges, who risked their lives on January 6, 2021, and who continue to do so by refusing to let that day be forgotten,” said Brendan Ballou, founder of the Public Integrity Project, which filed the claim on their behalf.“The Fund is stunningly, blindingly illegal, and the defendants must be prohibited from transferring money to this corrupt and illegal monstrosity,” he added.More than 1,500 people were criminally charged in connection with the riots, fueled by Trump’s false narrative that the 2020 presidential election was rigged and stolen from him. Hundreds of defendants pleaded guilty, and more than 200 others were found guilty at trial.All of them have received a pardon from the president on his first day in office.Last month, the Justice Department moved to toss out remaining cases — and most serious convictions — to finish off what the president started.Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche has not ruled out payments to any of them, including rioters who were later charged and convicted of other unrelated crimes in the years after the attack.More than 1,500 people were criminally charged in connection with the riots, and Trump issued sweeping pardons and commutations for all of them as he seeks to downplay the violence and rewrite the history of the attack (AFP/Getty)Trump’s efforts join a years-long crusade to rewrite the history of the 2020 election and downplay the violence that was captured on video and admitted by assailants who tried to stop members of Congress from certifying his loss.The president himself was federally indicted for his alleged attempts to overturn election results and for his failure to stop the mob, but the cases under special counsel Jack Smith were thrown out after his election in 2024.“Anybody in this country is eligible to apply if they believe they were victims,” he told the Senate Appropriations Committee on Tuesday.He told senators that the fund will compensate Americans after “years and years of weaponization” under the Biden administration, which the president and his allies have accused of leading a government-wide conspiracy against them.“It’s not limited to Republicans,” Blanche said of the fund. “It’s not limited to the Biden weaponization. It’s not limited in any scope to January 6, Jack Smith … There’s no limitation to the claims.”This is a developing story
Jan. 6 cops file lawsuit to block Trump ‘slush fund’ IRS bailout
Harry Dunn and Daniel Hodges say the fund illegally rewards rioters for violence against law enforcement










