SportOther SportsConor McGregorThe former two-division UFC champion will return to the cage for the first time in five years when he takes on Max Holloway later this summer14:08, 20 May 2026Dustin Poirier has questioned Max Holloway's durability ahead of his showdown with Conor McGregor.‌Holloway and McGregor will go head-to-head for a second time on July 11 at UFC 329 - 13 years on from their initial encounter. On that night, it was the Irishman who tasted victory after getting the nod on points.‌McGregor has not fought since breaking his leg in a first round defeat to Poirier at UFC 264 back in 2021. The Irishman was due to return to the cage two years ago against Michael Chandler - but was forced to withdraw from the contest after picking up an injury in training.‌The Dublin scrapper's upcoming opponent has very much been active since McGregor's last fight. Holloway - a former featherweight champion - has recently found a new home at lightweight and was last seen in March, when he lost to Charles Oliveira. The Hawaiian is a 32-fight UFC veteran and has established himself as a real legend of the sport since his promotional debut in 2012.FOLLOW OUR FIGHTING FB PAGE! Latest boxing and MMA news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page‌READ MORE: Ronda Rousey smashes Conor McGregor record in 15-second comebackREAD MORE: Nate Diaz handed immediate six-month ban after brutal defeat by Mike PerryHolloway, 34, has been involved in several brutal wars over the years, and Poirier - who has famously fought the ex-UFC champion three times - believes his durability could be on the decline following his recent fights and has advised McGregor to test the chin at UFC 329.“The thing that I keep thinking about is in Max’s last three fights, he’s touched the canvas more times than he’s touched his whole career,” he said on Paramount’s Deep Waters show. “(Justin Gaethje and Ilia Topuria) dropped him, I dropped him. That’s his last few fights. If Max’s chin is finally catching up to the style of fighting he does, Conor (McGregor) could put him down.”READ MORE: Jake Paul and Ronda Rousey in agreement over Conor McGregor fightREAD MORE: Khamzat Chimaev makes major career switch just days after shock UFC lossThe fact that July's contest is taking place at welterweight could in fact benefit McGregor. It's fair to say he is no stranger to the weight class, having famously fought Nate Diaz twice in 2016 at 170lb. His last win also came at welterweight - a first round knockout over Donald Cerrone in 2020.Article continues belowThat said, McGregor has well and truly been warned after Poirier admitted that Holloway is much more dangerous since leaving the featherweight division. The 'Diamond' was convincingly beaten by the Hawaiian in his retirement fight last year, and has highlighted Holloway's stinging power since piling on the pounds.“Max for sure is a volume puncher, but at ’55 (lightweight) when I fought him last, he has power behind his shots, and I’ve got to think at 170 he’s got to have even more power, because Max can punch now,” he added. “He’s not just a volume puncher. He can finish fights.”Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.‌UFCConor McGregor