An inquest has opened into the death of Ryan Kelly, who suffered fatal injuries in a 'deliberate' house explosion that killed his former partner10:50, 20 May 2026Updated 11:01, 20 May 2026The death of a 35-year-old woman who was killed in a horror house explosion in Bristol alongside her former partner was recorded as a "homicide".‌Jo Shaw, 35, was killed in the blast in Sterncourt Road on May 3, in which her former partner, 41-year-old Ryan Kelly, also suffered fatal injuries. Avon and Somerset Police previously said officers are treating the explosion as deliberate and have recorded Ms Shaw's death as a "homicide". Officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with her death.‌On Wednesday, an inquest was opened by Assistant Avon Coroner Debbie Rookes into the death of Ryan Kelly at Avon Coroner’s Court in Flax Bourton. During the brief hearing coroner’s officer Andrew Eastwood said Mr Kelly was pronounced dead at the property by paramedics at 7am - shortly after the incident.‌"The brief circumstance has been that the deceased died as a result of an explosive device being detonated at an address in Bristol," Mr Eastwood said."Already obtained on the files is a statement of identification and a shortform post-mortem report from Dr Russell Delaney giving the cause of death as blast injuries to head, neck, torso and limbs."‌The court heard reports would be requested from a general practitioner, the South West Ambulance Trust, the police, a final report from the pathologist and a statement from Mr Kelly’s family."Inquiries are ongoing with the Avon and Wiltshire Partnership," Mr Eastwood added.Ms Rookes formally adjourned the proceedings until the summer. No members of Mr Kelly’s family attended the hearing.‌"I will provisionally list this matter for an inquest hearing here at Avon Coroner’s Court on August 11 2026," the coroner said."At the current time the only properly interested persons identified are the family, but that may change following receipt of further evidence."An inquest into the death of Ms Shaw, who worked as a personal assistant, was opened and adjourned on Monday.Her provisional cause of death was given as “penetrating fragmentation blast injury to the chest and pelvis”. Avon and Somerset Police are treating the cause of the explosion as deliberate, and recorded Ms Shaw’s death as a homicide. The force is not looking for anyone else in connection with her death.‌Three other people, including a child, sustained minor injuries. Police previously said a call was received from a person inside the house at 6.17am reporting a domestic-related incident, saying a man they knew had forced entry to the house.The caller remained on the line while officers were dispatched to the house, and at 6.30am the caller told police the man was believed to be in possession of an explosive device.About two minutes later there was an explosion at the property, in which Ms Shaw and Mr Kelly died.Article continues belowOfficers arrived at the property at 6.34am and fire and ambulance services shortly afterwards.Residents in neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution, and searches were carried out by the Army to ensure the area was safe.Searches also took place at an address in Speedwell where Mr Kelly lived. No evacuations were required at that location.This is a Breaking News story. You’ll be more likely to see our stories when any big news breaks in future by simply by clicking this link. You can also join The Mirror’s WhatsApp Community or follow us on Google News, Flipboard, Apple News, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads - or visit The Mirror homepage.