The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it has recorded more than 500 suspected cases, including 130 suspected deaths in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) Ebola outbreak so far.

WHO’s representative in DRC, Dr Anne Ancia, told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday that only 30 cases had been confirmed in the country so far from the suspected deaths.

She said the agency was working closely with the authorities and rushing more testing kits to eastern DRC to identify cases of infection of Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola virus for which there are no vaccines or therapeutics.

“We have significant uncertainty about the number of infections and how far the virus has spread,” Ancia said.

Speaking from Bunia in Ituri province, where cases were initially detected, Ancia said the outbreak had also reached North Kivu, with confirmed cases in Butembo and Goma.