Updated May 20, 2026 — 5:00pm,first published May 17, 2026 — 3:26pmManly talisman Jake Trbojevic will play on in 2027, confirming he will push on into a 14th NRL season just months after weighing up retirement.Trbojevic has taken up his contract option at the Sea Eagles next season following a stark turnaround in both his and Manly’s form under interim coach Kieran Foran.Jake Trbojevic will go around again in 2027.Getty ImagesAs recently as late March, the 32-year-old had been leaning towards calling time on his career as his rough-and-tumble playing style looked to have taken its toll.But Trbojevic has had a new lease on life since Foran took over from former coach Anthony Seibold, with Manly winning six of their past seven games to surge into fourth place on the NRL ladder.Trbojevic and the club had kept a “gentleman’s agreement” for him to consider his future this season after taking a significant pay cut from his previous long-term deal.A series of head knocks had the veteran lock weighing up his future but after recently playing his 250th game of first grade, one of Manly’s favourite sons has confirmed he will go around again next year.“I’m loving my footy, and I love this club,” Trbojevic said ahead of captaining the Sea Eagles against the Gold Coast on Saturday.“The past few weeks have been really enjoyable and our turnaround in form has been great for the whole club.“I love playing under Foz and with this amazing group of players. I’m really happy to confirm that I’m locked in for next year”.NRL admits Dragons’ Cook should have been awarded crucial try in Magic Round defeatThe NRL has conceded Damien Cook should have been awarded a try on the weekend as Penrith’s Brian To’o never had possession of the ball.North Queensland were also told Reuben Cotter should not have been sent to the sin-bin for a professional foul, a decision that could have ruined their gritty win over the Sydney Roosters.The NRL ruled Brian To’o never had possession of the ballFox SportsCook chased his own chip kick and appeared to get a boot to the ball before To’o could take a hold of the ball, then started celebrating what he thought was an important four-pointer just before the break in his 250th game.Bunker official Grant Atkins ruled To’o had possession and awarded a penalty to Penrith.Sources with knowledge of the situation not authorised to speak publicly confirmed the NRL informed the clubs the Cook and Cotter calls were incorrect.Cook was annoyed on the night and after the game, and preferred to focus on the Dragons sealing their first win of the year against the New Zealand Warriors on Saturday.Damien Cook discusses the Bunker call with referee Jarrod Cole.Getty Images“Is it consolation? I guess it’s irrelevant now,” Cook told this masthead. “We were actually told it was the wrong call before we walked into the press conference the other night. I maintain things could have been different had we gone into half-time down 12-6. People were writing us off and expected us to be on the end of a big scoreline.“I thought it was a try. Every man and his dog have told me since they also thought it was a try. We’re just not getting those close calls. We were better, but as Dean said in the presser, it means nothing if we don’t improve again this weekend.”Atkins, who was in charge of last year’s NRL grand final, has since been completely overlooked for Origin officiating duties next Wednesday, with Ashley Klein to referee the series opener.The Dragons welcome the return of the suspended Jaydn Su’A, who will switch from the backrow to the centres, with Tyrell Sloan on an extended bench as cover for Clint Gutherson, who ran for more than 200m last week, despite nursing a knee injury. Cook praised Gutherson’s toughness, and thanked him for wanting to feature in his milestone game.Jacob Liddle (hamstring) was close to a return, but expected back next weekend against the Broncos.Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (shoulder) is listed among the reserves for the Warriors.In other team news, Jacob Kiraz (knee) is back on the wing for the Bulldogs as they chase a much-needed win against a Melbourne team missing Queensland Origin trio Cameron Munster, Harry Grant and Trent Loiero.Forward Hugo Hart has been named on the bench for Manly and is a chance to make his debut when the Sea Eagles host the Gold Coast on Saturday night.And South Sydney welcome back Alex Johnston (knee), with Tallis Duncan shifting to the centres for their clash with the in-form North Queensland, who have Jason Taumalolo back on deck after a Magic Round freshen-up.Bennett praises Latrell’s maturity on Origin callChristian NicolussiWayne Bennett has praised Latrell Mitchell’s maturity after the star centre ruled himself out of the State of Origin opener due to a back injury – a decision that will give him the best possible chance to get back in contention for game two.Mitchell made the tough call to place himself off-limits for NSW on Sunday afternoon, just hours before coach Laurie Daley and his coaching staff were due to finalise their 20-man squad.Rabbitohs star Latrell Mitchell will be back in contention for Origin II.Getty ImagesBrisbane’s Kotoni Staggs and Canterbury captain Stephen Crichton will be the centre pairing in the series opener at Accor Stadium next Wednesday night.Bennett said Mitchell’s injury was not a long-term concern, and that he was expected to return after the bye in round 14 against Manly. Mitchell will have 80 minutes to convince Daley he deserves an immediate recall.As it stands, the injured trio of Mitchell, Brisbane prop Payne Haas (knee), and Panthers back-rower Liam Martin (knee) will all be available for Origin II in Melbourne on June 17.“I’ve got no doubts Latrell was keen to play for NSW, but at the same time he realised he couldn’t do the job properly – if he can’t play his part properly, he doesn’t want to let anyone down,” Bennett said on Monday.“He doesn’t want to let his club down, and he doesn’t want to let his state down.“He’s been in great form. We’d all love to see him play, but the bottom line is he’s at the age and place in his life where he’s mature enough to say, ‘If I’m going to help my club and NSW, I need to get myself sorted out, and I’ve got an opportunity over the next couple of weeks to do that’. It was very selfless.“He’s made a good decision. He won’t play this week, and with the bye, he’ll have three weeks before he has to play again, and that will clear it all up.”Blues staff were open to giving Mitchell a modified training program in camp to ensure he was ready by kick-off.Kotoni Staggs will start in the centres for the Blues.Sitthixay DitthavongNSW medicos confirmed on Monday none of the 20 players in camp were carrying any niggles, which is a rarity in rugby league at this time of season. Haas and winger Brian To’o managed injuries in the corresponding camp last year.South Sydney captain Cam Murray, who ended up the only Rabbitohs player in the NSW team after Keaon Koloamatangi missed out and Campbell Graham was unavailable because of a calf strain, said the enforced rest would only benefit the Bunnies and the Blues.“It would have been a hard decision to say no to a NSW jersey, but Latrell knew he wasn’t right, and he wanted to give some of the other in-form and healthy players an opportunity to perform at the highest level you can play,” Murray said.“I’m proud of the way he’s handled it. He’s been among the top five players in the NRL to start the year. The level of intensity he plays at takes a toll on your body; now it’s a matter of playing the best he can while also maintaining a healthy body.”Mitchell was below his high standards against the Dolphins, and started to wince in pain with the last few carries before he came from the field with less than ten minutes remaining.Manly winger Hopoate facing ban for contact with refereeChris BarrettManly winger Lehi Hopoate has been charged by the NRL match committee over a collision with referee Grant Atkins in his side’s win over Wests Tigers on Saturday.The 21-year-old was in pursuit of a Jamal Fogarty bomb during the first half of the Sea Eagles’ 46-18 victory when he ran into the back of the whistle-blower.The contact sent Atkins tumbling to the Suncorp Stadium turf.Hopoate, who was put on report by the referee, was hit with a grade-two contrary conduct charge on Sunday and will be suspended for a game with an early guilty plea.He stands to be banned for two matches if he contests the charge at the judiciary and loses.Manly were on Sunday weighing up whether to push for a downgrade, believing the contact with Atkins to have been accidental.There were eyebrows raised at the resurgent club at the grading, given that Brisbane hooker Cory Paix escaped a charge for a tackle in which Manly forward Siosiua Taukeiaho’s leg was broken a week earlier.The Sea Eagles requested that the ARL Commission use its special powers to overturn that decision, but their bid was unsuccessful.Hopoate also featured in another incident that came to the attention of the match review committee.Tigers centre Patrick Herbert received a grade-two dangerous tackle charge for a head slam on the winger in the 46th minute.He will be suspended for two games with an early guilty plea and three games if his case is thrown out at the judiciary.It shapes as another setback for the depleted Tigers, who have been without a handful of their best players through injury and suspension and have let in 142 points in the past three weeks.Herbert also copped a separate grade-one charge for a grapple tackle on Manly back-rower Ben Trbojevic, but faces an $1800 fine rather than time on the sideline for that tackle.News, results and expert analysis from the weekend of sport sent every Monday. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.From our partners