The Trinamool Congress’ Falta candidate Jahangir Khan on Tuesday announced that he has withdrawn from the repolling in the Assembly constituency, two days ahead of voting.“This decision is for Falta’s development and the public good, following the chief minister’s special package,” he said on social media. “I remain committed to Falta’s progress.”While voting in Falta was held on April 29, the Election Commission on May 2 ordered repolling in the constituency citing “severe electoral offences” and alleged “subversion of the democratic process”. There had been allegations of electoral malpractices in the seat.The repolling will be held on May 21 and the votes will be counted on May 24. Khan’s withdrawal came just as the 48-hour silence period came into effect in the constituency.The poll panel said that it had received complaints from political parties and candidates, and there were reports “alleging application of black adhesive tape/perfume on ballot unit buttons of EVMs [Electronic Voting Machines] in favour of or against particular political parties”.A probe report by the poll panel found that voting machines in at least 60 of the 285 polling stations in the constituency had been tampered with.On May 4, the Bharatiya Janata Party defeated the TMC in the state polls, ending the 15-year rule of the Mamata Banerjee-led party.On Tuesday, Trinamool Congress said that the withdrawal of the candidature was Khan’s “personal decision and not that of the party”.The TMC alleged that since the election result, more than 100 of its workers had been arrested in Falta. “Several party offices have been vandalised, shut down and forcibly captured in broad daylight through intimidation, while the EC continues to turn a blind eye despite repeated complaints,” the Banerjee-led party alleged.“Even in the face of such pressure, our workers remain rock-solid and continue to resist the BJP’s intimidation unleashed through agencies and the administration,” it added. “However, some eventually succumbed to the pressure and chose to step away from the field.”VIDEO | South 24 Parganas: Addressing a press conference, TMC leader Jahangir Khan said, "I am the son of Falta and I want Falta to be at peace and grow. Our CM Suvendu Adhikari is giving a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I am separating myself from… pic.twitter.com/R95Lw7DpHo— Press Trust of India (@PTI_News) May 19, 2026