The State Department announced sanctions on Tuesday on four people tied to organizations supporting Gaza-bound flotillas, accusing them of providing material backing to Hamas. The move comes as activists attempt another high-profile effort to challenge Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza, with 44 of the organizers’ boats being intercepted by Israeli forces. The sanctions, imposed by the State and Treasury Departments, target individuals the Trump administration says are linked to networks that organize or finance maritime convoys to Gaza while maintaining ties to Hamas.

U.S. officials described the effort as part of a broader crackdown on what they call “Hamas support networks” operating under the guise of humanitarian activism.

Some of the sanctioned figures were involved in organizing flotillas that sought to break Israel’s maritime security cordon around Gaza, the Treasury Department said.

The agency in January had already sanctioned the Popular Conference for Palestinians Abroad, describing it as a Hamas-linked organization and a key organizer behind recent flotilla campaigns.

“The pro-terror flotilla attempting to reach Gaza is a ludicrous attempt to undermine President Trump’s successful progress toward lasting peace in the region,” Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said, noting a peace deal brokered by President Donald Trump in October.