LISBON (AP) — Cristiano Ronaldo is set to make a record sixth World Cup appearance after being included in Portugal’s squad for the tournament on Tuesday, and coach Roberto Martínez said the late Diogo Jota will be on everyone’s minds when the team tries to win soccer’s showcase event for the first time.The 28-year-old Jota, a regular in Portugal’s squad, was killed in a car crash in Spain last year.Martínez picked the 41-year-old Ronaldo and 26 other players to try to give Portugal its first World Cup title.It will likely be Ronaldo’s final attempt at winning soccer’s most coveted trophy. It will be his first World Cup since he left elite soccer in Europe to play in Saudi Arabia.Ronaldo and his great rival Lionel Messi of Argentina could become the first men to play in six World Cups.Ronaldo is the all-time leader in appearances (226) and goals (143) for a men’s national team. He is also the only man to have scored in five World Cups.
Ronaldo told CNN in November that this one “definitely” would be his last World Cup.Also included in the list were Ronaldo’s Al Nassr teammate João Félix, Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva and Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes. Paris Saint-Germain’s Nuno Mendes, Vitinha, João Neves and Gonçalo Ramos also made the list.










