Today11:25 BST17-year-old suspect was always 'trying to fit in and find friends', says former teammateA former wrestling teammate, who asked not to be named, told CNN that he remembered Cain Clark as a homeschooled student who "was always just trying his best – he was trying to fit in and find friends".The former teammate, who only knew him from attending wrestling practices and meets together, said: "He didn’t seem like he would do something like that."In an interview outside their home, Clark's grandparents, David and Deborah Clark, told CNN "we’re trying to process this" and said they were "very sorry for what happened". The couple declined to comment further and walked inside their house.Today10:55 BSTHome of 17-year-old suspect is being searchedPolice are executing a search warrant at the home of the 17-year-old suspect, Cain Clark, after hours of waiting, according to ABC 10 News.San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl had earlier said that the mother of one of the teenagers reported her son was suicidal and had run away. She also reported that weapons were missing from the home and that her vehicle was gone. The shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego began two hours later, just blocks away from the home.While police did not say which of the two suspects this related to, ABC 10 News reports it was Clark.The home of one of the suspects is being searched(Image: AP/Gregory Bull)Today10:51 BSTPictured: Aftermath of deadly shootingPeople stand behind police tape at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego(Image: AP/Gregory Bull)Two women pictured after the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego(Image: AFP via Getty Images)Today10:25 BSTShooting comes as US sees rise in anti-Muslim discrimination complaintsThe Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said it received 8,683 reports of anti-Muslim discrimination last year."This is the highest number of single-year complaints CAIR has recorded since our first civil rights report covering 1996 was published," the organisation said in its annual report.The executive director of CAIR San Diego condemned the "horrifying act of violence" that killed three people. Tazheen Nizam said: "No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school."Today10:03 BSTNYC's Mamdani 'horrified' by 'act of anti-Muslim violence'In a post on X, Zohran Mamdani said he was "horrified" by the attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego.The mayor of New York City called on Americans to confront Islamophobia directly and to "stand together against the politics of fear and division".Mamdani added that the New York Police Department is increasing deployments to mosques across the city "out of an abundance of caution".Content cannot be displayed without consentToday09:37 BSTMap shows location of San Diego's largest mosqueTwo teenagers killed three men - a security guard and two staff members - after opening fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the city’s largest mosque, on Monday morning local time.The mosque is located in the Clairemont Mesa East neighbourhood of the Southern California city.Clairemont is roughly eight miles north of downtown San Diego.Today09:26 BSTSuspect Cain Clark picturedCain Clark, 17, has been identified as one of the suspects behind the deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego.Clark was a former high school wrestler, with images on social media showing the teenager showing off his medals.He had been a wrestler at Madison High School during the 2024-25 season but did not attend the school as a student, according to NBC.A spokesperson for the San Diego Unified School District said Clark had been attending virtual classes and was due to graduate this month.Clark and the second suspect, 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez, died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.Read more on this story here.Cain Clark, 17, has been identified as one of the suspects(Image: Facebook)Today09:13 BST'We know as much as you do. It’s a shock,' says grandad of suspectThe grandfather of the 17-year-old suspect Cain Clark said he was shocked and "very sorry for what happened".David Clark, 78, told The New York Post: "We’re very sorry for what happened. We know as much as you do. It’s a shock."Today09:08 BST'SS' sticker found on fuel container, according to US reportAs we reported earlier, law enforcement officials have told several US media outlets that hate speech was found written on the weapons used in the shooting.A source has told The New York Post that officers discovered a gun and a fuel container with an "SS" sticker in the vehicle where the suspects were located.The "SS" symbol is associated with the Schutzstaffel, the principal paramilitary organisation of Nazi Germany. The SS ran concentration and death camps and was responsible for carrying out the Holocaust.Today08:37 BSTGun violence has claimed over 4,750 lives in US in 2026The US has recorded at least 4,765 deaths linked to gun violence so far in 2026, according to data from the Gun Violence Archive.More than 500 of those killed this year have died in mass shootings, the organisation said. It defines a mass shooting as an incident in which four or more people are injured or killed, excluding the shooter or shooters.Based on this definition, there have been 151 mass shootings in the US so far this year.Today08:34 BSTWhat we know so far about the suspectsAuthorities have identified the 17-year-old suspect as Cain Clark and the 18-year-old suspect as Caleb Velasquez.The teenagers are believed to have died from self-inflicted wounds and were found in a car near the Islamic Center of San Diego after the shooting.One of the suspects is reported to have taken three weapons from their parents' home.Hate speech was scrawled on one of the weapons, law enforcement officials told US media.Today08:15 BSTSecurity guard 'sacrificed himself' to protect children and women, says parentSecuirty guard Amin Abdullah has been described as a hero by parents of children who attended the Islamic Center of San Diego. Three men, including Mr Abdullah, were shot and killed at the mosque in what is being treated as a hate crime."He wasn't just some security guard," Sam Hamideh told CNN. "Knowing him for the past four years, I know that he knew he was sacrificing himself."If he didn't take that bullet, they [the suspects] would easily have walked upstairs, and then there's just innocent [children] eight and younger, and women and people that couldn't defend themselves."Mr Abdullah was a father of eight.Today07:43 BSTShooting is 'an American tragedy', says congressional candidate Campa-Najjar, who is running as a Democrat in a nearby California congressional district, attended the school at the Islamic Center of San Diego while growing up.He told CNN he is "deeply devastated and heartbroken" to learn that three adults had been killed. "When I heard that there was where they had gone, where the gunman had gone, I remember where those places are, what those classrooms rooms were," he said.Campa-Najjar said the "entire country should be in mourning", adding: "An attack on one of us is an attack on all of us in this country. And this is an American tragedy, not just for one community."He called on all Americans to condemn the shooting and to ensure that "hatred and Islamophobia" are given "no safe quarter in any part of our country".Police vehicles at the Islamic Center of San Diego(Image: NBC)Today07:25 BSTPictured: 'Hero' security guard who helped save lives before being killedOne of the three victims has been identified as Amin Abdulla, a security guard at the San Diego Islamic Center.Tributes to the father of eight have poured in on social media, according to NBC 7.San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl described Mr Abdulla's actions as "heroic", saying he helped to "at least minimise the situation"."Until we know more, I don’t want to speculate, but at this point I think it’s fair to say his actions were heroic and undoubtedly he saved lives today," he said.Amin Abdullah was among those killed(Image: Facebook)Today07:20 BSTSan Diego schools make counsellors availableThe Islamic Center of San Diego is also the site of a school, and nearby schools were placed into lockdown as the shooting unfolded.The San Diego Unified School District said counsellors will be available today for pupils and families affected by the attack.Superintendent Fabi Bagula also encouraged parents to reach out to their child’s school if additional support is needed."With ongoing media coverage, our young people may also be processing difficult images, language, or information online," she said late on Monday. "We encourage families to check in with their children, create space for them to share what they are feeling, and reach out to their school if additional support is needed.""We stand firmly against Islamophobia and hate in all its forms and remain committed to building a community rooted in belonging, dignity, and care for one another," supt Bagula added.Today07:03 BST'Hate rhetoric' found scrawled on weapons belonging to gunmenThe two teenage suspects who opened fire on a San Diego mosque scrawled hate rhetoric on their weapons before carrying out the attack, police said.The suspects were found dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds after the shooting on Monday which saw three people killed outside the house of worship. They were identified as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18.Officials told CNN that hate speech was inscribed on one of the weapons used in the attack.Police swarmed the area after the shooting in San Diego(Image: Anadolu via Getty Images)Today05:51 BSTSuspect was a 'good kid', say relatives Relatives of the 17-year-old suspect told CNN they were in shock, describing Cain Clark as a “good kid.”David and Deborah Clark, his grandparents, said from outside their house "we’re trying to process this", and said they were "very sorry for what happened."The couple declined further comment and walked inside.Today05:12 BSTIslamic Center director urges public to spread tolerance and love The Islamic Center of San Diego's director, Taha Hassane, pleaded with the public to spread tolerance and love instead of hate.He said in the afternoon news conference: "My community is mourning."The religious intolerance and the hate that unfortunately exists in our nation is unprecedented."He said Americans need to reverse this "for the sake of this nation, for the sake of the future generations.""All of us are responsible for spreading the culture of tolerance, the culture of love," he added.Imam Shaykh Abel Jali of the Islamic Center of San Diego addresses media during a press conference about law enforcement and emergency services respose to a shooting at the Islamic Center of San DiegoToday02:58 BST'Heroic' security guard killed in shooting 'saved lives' Among those killed was a mosque security guard, who police believe “played a pivotal role” in keeping the attack from being “much worse”, Mr Wahl said.Later he said authorities continued to review the security guard’s response, but “it’s fair to say his actions were heroic”.“Undoubtedly he saved lives today,” Mr Wahl said.Police respond to a reported active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego in San DiegoToday02:14 BSTMother reported 'several of her weapons missing' Police were notified by the mother of the suspect who believed her son was suicidal after reporting that "several of her weapons" and vehicle were missing.The woman told police that her son was with a companion, both of whom were dressed in camoflague. This triggered a search by officers.The police were with the mother just a few blocks away when reports of an active shooter came in at around 11.43am local time.Today02:05 BSTIslamic Center is "a house of worship, not a battlefield"Imam Taha Hassane of the Islamic Center spoke to press and said that the centre is "a house of worship, not a battlefield"."Muslims and non-Muslims alike have always been welcome at the Islamic Center," he added.He said that the Muslim community is mourning and requested the media to stop sharing pictures of victims due to respect.He ended the press conference urging people to spread a culture of love and tolerance.Today01:09 BSTHate rhetoric being investigated Hate rhetoric is being investigated after a note was found by the mother of one of the suspects.Wahl says he wants to clarify that "there was no specific threat, especially no specific threat to the Islamic centre"."It was general hate speech that covered a wide gamut," he says of the letter that the suspect's mother found.He added that the letter contained "generalised hate rhetoric and hate speech," not specific to any religion or location.Hate rhetoric is being investigated by police following the incidentToday00:33 BSTTwo suspects identified Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, have been identified by police as the suspects in today’s shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego.Previously, officials said the suspects died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds.It was earlier said by police that the suspects were 17 and 19, according to NBC news.The police are examining anti-Islamic writings found in the car where police found the deceased suspects.18th May23:57 BSTMosque leader calls attack 'outrageous' The mosque’s director, Imam Taha Hassane, called it “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship”.“All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected,” he said.18th May23:51 BST'Violence and hatred have no place in our society,' says Islamic Center The Islamic Center of San Diego will be closed until further notice, calling the shooting "an extremely painful and traumatic day for our congregation, students, staff, and the broader San Diego community."It asked the public to keep victims in their prayers, avoid speculation, and rely on authorities to sort out what happened and why."Places of worship are meant to be spaces of peace, prayer, reflection, and community," the statement said."Violence and hatred have no place in our society."18th May23:42 BSTPolice say children at mosque safe “All of the kids are safe,” Police Chief Wahl said, appearing emotional.“Our hearts go out to the families that are in this moment being notified of what has happened to their loved ones.”18th May23:08 BSTA 'terrible situation' - Donald TrumpUS President Donald Trump has called the shooting a "terrible situation".He added: "I've been given some early updates but we're going to be going back and looking at it very strongly."18th May22:28 BSTSecurity guard killed One of the people killed in the mosque shooting was a security guard who worked at the Islamic centre, Police Chief Wahl said.A landscaper nearby was also shot at but was not injured, he added.The San Diego Police Chief described "extremely chaotic" at the Islamic Center of San Diego with somewhere between 50 to 100 police officers descending on the place of worship.18th May22:19 BST'Suspects are believed to be 17 and 19'"There were no officers involved in firing their weapons," Police Chief Wahl says, adding that it is "still very preliminary at this point".A total of five people have died, police confirmed, three victims and two suspects who were found with self-inflicted gunshots wounds.The suspects are believed to be 17 and 19 years old, he said.18th May22:08 BST'Two teen suspects found dead'In a statement to the media police chief Scott Wahl says police were called to the scene at 11:43 local time, and "observed what appeared to be three deceased victims out front".Within four minutes, he said more officers arrived at the scene. "At about the same time, we began to receive calls from a couple blocks away of more active gunfire," he added.Two suspects, both reportedly teenagers, were found dead in a vehicle with self-inflicted wounds, the police chief says.
Mosque shooting suspect named as ex-school wrestler, 17, as 'SS' detail emerges
Three people have been by two teen gunmen at the Islamic Center of San Diego, in Clairemont Mesa, the San Diego Police Department has said











