Darren Duthie, who attempted to petrol bomb his ex-girlfriend's home during a sustained six-year period of harrowing abuse, has been jailed at Manchester Crown Court09:33, 19 May 2026A woman who called it off with her 'relentless monster 'boyfriend when he threw lit cigarettes at her while pregnant subjected her to six years of horrendous torture.‌Domestic abuser Darren Duthie had been in a relationship with the woman since 2020, before he became controlling and violent - pouring petrol threw her letterbox before sending her harrowing messages, including one which vowed to "f****** mutalate" (sic) her while making her young daughter watch.‌The vile 30-year-old followed his victim from Edinburgh to Manchester, nearly petrol bombing her home, leading her to call the emergency services and have the block of flats evacuated in 2021. A year later, Duthie broke into the terrified woman's home and attacked her with a knife in the middle of the night, Manchester Crown Court heard. Then in 2023, her twisted ex smashed up the grave of her mother before attacking her with a hammer.‌READ MORE: Man's nine brave words after surviving 'grotesque' abuse from wife 'night after night'READ MORE: Domestic abuse numbers reach record high as more victims than ever seek helpWhilst Duthie was in prison in March 2024, serving time for domestic abuse, he sent her a message from his cell on an illegal phone which read: "Your nothing a mean nothing when a get out am taking the face off you all rape you wa a 12inch hunting knife then cut your t*** off and put your eye balls where your t*** should be am going to f****** mutalate you and make YOUR DAUGHTER SEE EVERY F****** BIT EH IT long as [child's name] no there a dont give a f***. [sic]"Edinburgh Police issued the woman with threat to life warning, and told her that Duthie was to be released from prison a week later. As a result she left the country and travelled to Manchester with her children with just 'one suitcase and a backpack each'. At the time he was subject to a restraining order banning him from contacting her, the ManchesterEveningNews report.‌"She didn't tell anybody where she lived and turned off her location services in a bid to protect her location," prosecutor Sophie Kenny told the court. "However, since he was released from custody, the defendant was calling her from withheld numbers and sending her numerous messages."He thereafter used a fake Facebook account called 'British Britannia' and made repeated requests for contact. She responded once to tell him the court order was in place and that he should not contact her."The court heard he made threats stating he wished she 'got breast cancer'. Other messages read: 'I've got it in me to kill you' and 'Do us a favour and f****** die mate'.‌In the early hours of September 12 last year, the victim heard banging downstairs before her kitchen window was smashed. She then heard Duthie shouting outside regarding contact with her child and suggested she had 'caused him to lose his job'.Later that morning, she received a request from a Snapchat account called 'Darren' posting a story inviting 'Want to make money?' with a money and a knife emoji next to it. He was arrested months later.‌Bravely reading from her victim personal statement, the woman explained that her mother, who experienced domestic abuse, had taken her own life after receiving 'no help from the justice system'. "I knew from my childhood I had to leave this abuse and did not want my kids growing up with the trauma I did," she said."I have never been so close to death on many occasions, even in front of my children, and the justice system in Scotland has failed us since day one."I have proof of six years of abuse, most injuries, bruises, cuts, broken and fractured bones, the blood I’ve lost, my skin being scarred from weapons, the stalking outside of my home in the early hours of morning."‌She said he repeatedly smashed her windows, broke into her home, threw paint over her front door, removed the outside door handles so she couldn't leave and poured a strong smelling substance through her letterbox which caused her to evacuate the block of flats where she was living at the time for fear of a fire."No matter how many times he was arrested and put in prison as soon as he was released he would soon start the abuse and targeting my home," she said. "He is relentless, he’ll never stop or give up. I pray the justice system here helps us compared to the justice system back home because I do fear for my children’s future more than anything. I fear this man one day takes my life and I’m not around to raise my children."It is a shame because I don’t want it this way I wish he could be a man instead of a monster."‌Jessica Foster, defending, said Duthie continues to deny the offences. "This offending is plainly serious," she said. "This defendant does not have an entrenched patterns of serious violence. They are largely domestic abuse related, breaches of court orders and engaging in abusive behaviour."Presiding judge, Kate Cornell, interjected: "The pattern is repeated, persistent and prolonged.""Clearly, there is a pattern of offences - this may be the most serious offence the defendant has committed," Ms Foster said. "He said he is willing to engage and make progress."‌Sentencing, Judge Kate Cornell said: "This was a deeply shocking event for them [the woman and her children] to live through. It was disgraceful and appalling behaviour from you."You had sought them out, knowing you were wanted, knowing she tried to escape you, knowing full well you were not to go near her by law."I find, as a fact, you are an abuser. You have no right to harass her or threaten her. You clearly feel you are entitled to behave as you wish, not withstanding court orders or prison sentences.Article continues below"You are a law unto yourself. I have no doubt you pose a significant risk of serious harm in the future to members of the public, particularly women and other potential partners."Duthie, of Ferry Road Drive, Edinburgh was handed a 10 year sentence comprising of six years imprisonment and an extended licence of four years. He must serve two thirds of the six year term before the Parole Board will consider him safe to be released. He was previously found guilty of criminal damage and stalking involving fear of violence.To make a referral to the NCDV call 0800 970 2070 or text: NCDV to 60777. More information can be found here: https://www.ncdv.org.uk/.