Maximin Carter, 51, has been jailed after he was found to be storing weapons at a property in Neath Port Talbot where his ex-partner feared he making bombs, a court heard17:13, 18 May 2026Updated 17:25, 18 May 2026Homes had to be evacuated with a woman fearing her former partner had "booby-trapped" her home and made bombs, a court heard.Maximin Carter, 51, was sentenced at Swansea Crown Court on Monday after the incident in Abergwynfi, Neath Port Talbot, where military specialists were called after his ex-partner was worried about what was in her property.No explosives were found at the address but Carter had been storing a number of weapons including an air rifle along with a "substantial amount of ammunition", a knuckleduster, four telescopic truncheons, and a ninja sword at his ex-partner's address.The court heard how Carter had an "interest in weaponry". His former partner contacted police on Valentine's Day with concerns about the weapons in her home including plastic bottles filled with polystyrene she feared were bombs.READ MORE: Tube strikes cancelled: TfL 'shifts position' but new strike dates revealedREAD MORE: P&O Cruises reminds passengers of important rule or risk being 'turned away'Carter had been residing at her address without her permission and was in breach of a non-molestation order by doing so, said the prosecution.A search of the property involved military resources and a major incident was declared. Neighbouring properties had to be evacuated and took shelter in the nearby miners' hall, reported WalesOnline.Prosecutor Hannah George told the court the property was "strewn with various objects" and was in a mess, while Carter's former partner said it "looked like booby traps had been set up" because of the state the property was in.A search of the address uncovered no explosives but a number of offensive weapons were found, including an air rifle, four telescopic truncheons, a ninja sword, and a knuckleduster. Ms George said a "substantial amount" of ammunition was also found.In his police interview the defendant explained he did own the items seized from the address but in later questioning he answered: "No comment".The court heard Carter has one previous conviction for three offences of possession of cannabis in 1998. He also received a caution in 2009 for possession of an offensive weapon.Carter, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a prohibited weapon in respect of the air rifle and six offences of possession of an offensive weapon in a private place. With a discount for his guilty pleas the defendant was sentenced to a total of five and a half years in prison.Carter, who appeared via videolink from HMP Swansea, will serve 40% of the term in custody and the remainder on licence.Article continues belowFollowing sentencing sergeant Kristian Burt of South Wales Police said: "This incident in February will have rightfully caused a great deal of concern to the people of Abergwynfi who would not have been sure whether their homes were safe due to the nature of the weapons that Maximin Carter had been amassing."We would like to give those residents a massive thank you for their cooperation and understanding while we made our inquiries and carried out our investigation following Maximin Carter’s arrest back in February. They can be assured that Abergwynfi is much safer now that these weapons have been seized."
Residents evacuated as woman feared home 'booby-trapped with bombs' by ex
Maximin Carter, 51, has been jailed after he was found to be storing weapons at a property in Neath Port Talbot where his ex-partner feared he making bombs, a court heard









