U.S. President Donald Trump said he was planning a major new assault on Iran on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, but held off as he saw hope for securing a so far elusive agreement to end the war.

| Photo Credit:

U.S. President Donald Trump said he was planning a major new assault on Iran on Tuesday (May 19, 2026), but held off as he saw hope for securing a so far elusive agreement to end the war. Mr. Trump, who had indefinitely extended the truce and made clear he wants to exit a war that has proven to be a political liability, said he had prepared a new attack for Tuesday (May 19) after Iran refused his outlines of a deal.Also read: Iran submits new proposal, says U.S. open to sanctions reliefIran has submitted a new 14-point proposal to the U.S. through Pakistan, aimed at ending the war amid a diplomatic impasse and fears of renewed hostilities, even as President Masoud Pezeshkian said the country “will not bow to any power”.On Sunday (May 17, 2026), Iran unveiled a new body, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PSGA), to control the Strait. According to the new mechanism, all ships seeking to transit the Strait should get a confirmation message, about “ruled and regulations” from the PGSA.Follow here for live updates,May 19, 2026 08:45 Asian markets cautious, oil dips after Trump holds off on Iran attackAsian markets were mixed on Tuesday (May 19) as oil prices eased on hopes of a U.S.-Iran deal, though elevated crude levels capped investor appetite for risk.Energy markets held centre stage after U.S. President Donald Trump signalled “serious negotiations” with Tehran and called off planned strikes. - AFPMay 19, 2026 08:43 Diplomatic process continues through Pakistan despite the tensions: Iran“In line with the recent practice of exchanging messages, Iran has also once again submitted its text in 14 points through the Pakistani mediator after making amendments,” an Iranian official said, according to the Tasnim news agency.Tasnim quoted another Iranian official as saying that the U.S. has agreed to waive sanctions on Iran during the negotiation period. Iran has insisted that removal of all sanctions on the country should be part of a final agreement. “The United States has proposed a waiver of OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) sanctions until a final understanding is reached,” the agency reported. Iran submits new proposal, says U.S. open to sanctions reliefIran proposes a new 14-point plan to the U.S., signaling potential sanctions relief amid ongoing diplomatic negotiations.May 19, 2026 08:40 Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leadersU.S. President Donald Trump said he was postponing a planned attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday (May 19, 2026) at the request of Gulf leaders amid “serious negotiations” with Tehran.Mr. Trump’s sudden announcement on social media on Monday (May 18, 2026) came after Iran said it had responded to a new U.S. proposal aimed at ending the war. Trump says delaying Iran attack at request of Gulf leadersTrump delays Iran attack at Gulf leaders' request, emphasizing readiness for military action if negotiations fail. Published - May 19, 2026 08:32 am IST