Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Monday he was ready to "do the impossible" to stop the war with Israel, as strikes continued to batter the country despite a ceasefire.

Aoun's comments came as the Israeli army carried out another series of strikes in south Lebanon, while Hezbollah said it had struck a military target in northern Israel.

While a ceasefire was announced on 17 April, it has failed to stop the violence between Israel and Hezbollah, which have continued to launch strikes as they accuse each other of violating the agreement.

Last week the truce was extended for 45 days following a third round of talks between Lebanese and Israeli representatives in Washington, discussions to which Hezbollah is not a party, and is opposed to.

"The framework that Lebanon has set for the negotiations consists of an Israeli withdrawal, a ceasefire, the deployment of the army along the border, the return of the displaced, and economic aid," Aoun said in a statement Monday.