NewsWorld newsUkraineThe Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine was targeted again last week, with continual concern over its safety since the start of the war with Russia in 202213:04, 18 May 2026Updated 13:28, 18 May 2026Safety at Europe's biggest nuclear power plant is "rapidly deteriorating", Russia's nuclear energy chief has warned.‌The Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine was targeted by Ukrainian Armed Forces over the weekend, Russia says, and was also attacked earlier this month. Russian authorities also said a driver was killed by a drone strike at the site carried out by the Ukrainian Armed Forces in April.‌The wider Zaporizhzhia region has been a target for Vladimir Putin's forces too in recent weeks. The State Emergency Service of Ukraine said a Russian attack at an industrial infrastructure facility in the region last Friday led to one person being killed.‌Alexey Likhachev, Director General of the Russia's Atomic Energy Corporation Rosatom, today said the situation at the nuclear plant is rapidly getting to a point of "no return".READ MORE: Tube strikes live: Which TfL services will run during London Underground strike?READ MORE: P&O Cruises reminds passengers of important rule or risk being 'turned away'He said: "We are getting closer and closer to the point of no return, and all of Europe must now redouble its efforts to de-escalate the situation surrounding the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.‌"It is moving too quickly toward the point of no return." If the ZNPP site, which contains 2,600 tonnes of nuclear fuel, is breached, it will pose risks on a regional scale, he noted.After heavy fighting, the nuclear power plant passed into the hands of the Russians in March 2022, and there have been plenty of missile strikes near the facility.The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said it had been informed that the External Radiation Control Laboratory of the power plant was targeted by a drone on May 3.Article continues belowNo injuries were reported but the extent of the damage was investigated, with the director general of the IAEA, Rafael Grossi, saying any attack poses a "nuclear safety risk". The IAEA said at the time of that attack: "IAEA has been informed by the ZNPP that a drone targeted its External Radiation Control Laboratory (ECRL) today."There were no reported injuries and it is not yet known if the strike damaged the lab, which is located outside the ZNPP perimeter. IAEA team at the site has requested access to the lab, Director General @rafaelmgrossi says, reiterating that any attacks near nuclear sites can pose nuclear safety risks."Meanwhile, Russia's State Atomic Energy Corporation said a driver was killed by a drone strike in an operation carried out by the Ukrainian Armed Forces in April. The Rosatom corporation said an employee at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant died during the incident on April 27.Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.‌RussiaUkraine